man down - me

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
Rolled out of the car park from work, poked my head around a stationary car and bam front wheel swiped under the front handbars into me and one brake lever broken off against my leg.

Wheels bend as well, I have a nice brused legs and bashed elbow too match.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    ouch! I don't fully understand what happened though - did someone hit you?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:
    Rolled out of the car park from work, poked my head around a stationary car and bam front wheel swiped under the front handbars into me and one brake lever broken off against my leg.

Wheels bend as well, I have a nice brused legs and bashed elbow too match.

Owch indeed did you loose the wheel or something/one take it from under you?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Car hit front wheel of bike?

Yikes - you need to be careful - there's not much left undamaged!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Ouch. Also not sure what happened but sorry to hear it anyway fella.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Oh, nasty! hope you're OK.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Strewth fella, you OK?

(my first post in how long exactly?)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yeah i'm bashed up a bit and the bikes in need of some TLC

basically to come out of the works car park you need to cross oncoming traffic across the next lane and away along the back of Moorgate Stn.

said oncoming is stationary at the lights, so i have to creep forward between the traffic to check and go, which i did about 12 inches then bam!!!! front wheel hit side on, however because i'm going <1 mph i step over the failing bike which then digs into the cars bumper and my legs causing me to fall in front of the car left elbow first, by which point he'd thankfully stopped.

at that point i've barely even clipped in. If i'd been a pedestrian making the same move (which is the norm for the city or west end) that would have ended very badly.

I need to really check the bike over in the morning, as that was a big impact directly on carbon forks and over the front wheel.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Erk. Never liked riding around Moorgate. Heal up soon, and hope the bike is salvageable, although that does sound a bit optimistic. Was the driver helpful?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Get well soon!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Hope you're ok Boff, you've not had a good run lately. Sounds like it should be more the bike than you at least.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Does the work car park have CCTV so we can share your misfortune...?

Purely for research purposes as opposed to the comedy value - obviously.