Help dismantling a hub

joeyhalloran
joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I have an old rear hub that I am looking to put some new bearings in a reuse. However, I can't undo the end caps, I can put 2 5mm allen keys in either end but it seems to require loads of force and they haven't even moved yet, any advice for getting them unstuck?

Thanks

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    What hub?

Some are just bloody tight. Some have LH threaded parts.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    ...and some have threaded cones and the shaft has allen key slots for holding the shaft in place whilst tightening/adjusting the cones.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • joeyhalloran
    Its a set of Reynolds hubs from circa 2008/09.

I put some lubrication and managed to get the ends off...but not sure what to do now to get to there bearings. I can see a 10mm allen key pattern on the the inside of the axle where the freehub sits.

Maybe I should take some photos...

Or is there a good guide to servicing a rear hub with cartridge bearings anywhere?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    What Reynolds Hubs are they?
    Do a Google search.

I have just typed in Reynolds wheel hub service in Google and got a lot back but not specific enough.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • joeyhalloran
    That's part of the problem, I am not sure what hub they are, or how to find out. Is it likely there would be some sort of model marking on them somewhere?
  • brearley
    brearley Posts: 165
    if they're anything like a hub I've recently serviced you take off one end cap using two 5mm allen keys.
    Once one end is off if it's a rear take the freehub off, then if there is a 10mm allen key use a 10mm allen key and your 5mm in the end cap still attached and take the 2nd end cap off.
    This should leave you with the axle and bearings left in.
    The bearings may have circlip washers around on the non-drive side. If so remove that then tap the axle out with a rubber mallet or hammer with wood over the axle end so as to not damage the hub.