Technique with 'craters'

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited May 2014 in MTB general
So, I'm becoming a LOT more confident with technical riding - I'm now ok with riding local XC courses in the woods (very technical with lots of big roots, rocks and steep descents).

One thing I still can't ride properly are 'bomb craters' or whatever you'd like to call them. I have included a rather beautiful (even if I do say so myself) artist's impression of these particular trail 'features'.

Is there a particular technique for overcoming these? I am constantly afraid I'm going to go OTB.

Thanks a lot! :D

craters_zps024c687a.jpg

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Excellent picture, I particularly like the way you have made the sky blue and the non sky green - could almost be grass.
    Edgy as well, wearing a gimp suit while you ride.

I dislike those as well, but as long as you have enough speed to climb the other side they are normally less scary than they look. Too slow/timid though (my normal riding style) and the sudden stop can be painful. As long as the hole isn't the exact size of your front wheel the bike will normally climb out. Move your weight back as you go over so the bike sort of runs up the slope.

Bearing in mind that most bikes are more competent than the rider.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    From your beautiful artists impression it looks like with a bit of speed you could easily bunny hop clear over that hole, or failing that manual your front wheel clear of it and hope for the best with your rear wheel. If you don't have enough speed do a wheelie to clear the front.
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Judging from your excellent artists impression I would be standing on the pedals with my rear end back behind the saddle as I entered the 'crater' shifting my weight forward as I started the rise out the other side.
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • declan1
    Thanks for the replies :D I think I'll try doing a wheelie/manual into the crater (even though I can't manual properly at all). There are just so many of them near here with really thick wet mud in the bottom.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Is your picture to scale? A hole that can only accomodate one wheel needs a different approach to what I would describe as a bombhole, which would normally be a couple of bikelengths or more across, and may be 6- 10ft deep.
  • declan1
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Is your picture to scale? A hole that can only accomodate one wheel needs a different approach to what I would describe as a bombhole, which would normally be a couple of bikelengths or more across, and may be 6- 10ft deep.

Yeah it's to scale. I called them bomb craters as I don't know what else to call them :P

They are about the size of the front wheel and are usually pretty deep so it's very hard to just roll through them.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Looks to me as though both wheels are buckled.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    declan1 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies :D I think I'll try doing a wheelie/manual into the crater (even though I can't manual properly at all). There are just so many of them near here with really thick wet mud in the bottom.
    that should sort you out unless your front wheel falls short and it bashes into the upside of the crater- not nice
  • Bike looks a bit big for you tbh.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    declan1 wrote:
    They are about the size of the front wheel and are usually pretty deep so it's very hard to just roll through them.

in that case, either bunnyhop across to avoid them with both wheels, or, if you're not confident in doing that, then just concentrate on lifting your front wheel over the "out" face (which will probably mean popping a wheelie or manual before the wheel starts to drop into the hole), forget about the rear and trust it to follow you out - once the front is over the danger zone, shift your weight forwards to lighten the rear wheel and make the whole thing smoother.
  • declan1
    jimothy78 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

in that case, either bunnyhop across to avoid them with both wheels, or, if you're not confident in doing that, then just concentrate on lifting your front wheel over the "out" face (which will probably mean popping a wheelie or manual before the wheel starts to drop into the hole), forget about the rear and trust it to follow you out - once the front is over the danger zone, shift your weight forwards to lighten the rear wheel and make the whole thing smoother.

Thanks - that's great advice. I'm going to some trails that have loads of these in on Friday so I'll try it out! :)

Also thanks for the comments on the artwork - I'm currently considering a career as a graphics designer ;) :P

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    So many fails. No helmet, no gloves, no water, no energy enhancing protein substitutes, no first aid kit with Gabon Viper anti venom, no rescue helicopter, no battleship in case you get attacked by a nation state, badly polishes shoes, valve caps not red, mobile contract with Orange, bike is Orange, breathing through mouth, analogue watch, cycling in scotchland and wife down boozer whilst you are out there. And that is only the start.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • declan1
    FishFish wrote:
    So many fails. No helmet, no gloves, no water, no energy enhancing protein substitutes, no first aid kit with Gabon Viper anti venom, no rescue helicopter, no battleship in case you get attacked by a nation state, badly polishes shoes, valve caps not red, mobile contract with Orange, bike is Orange, breathing through mouth, analogue watch, cycling in scotchland and wife down boozer whilst you are out there. And that is only the start.

Oh :shock: :?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Is FishFish the only poster more regularly drunk than me (hic)?

But back to topic.

First, if the OP was able to bunny hop/manual/jump this particular obstacle he wouldn't have asked the question. Not saying its not good advice but...

I reckon Cooldad's advice hits the mark. It's what I'd do as I'm also not great at manuals, jumps etc and I'm quite wary of going OTB, though I never do as I ride too slowly these days
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    FishFish wrote:

Post of the week for me.

At least the bike isn't an Orange
  • cyd190468 wrote:
    It's the skinny tyres that's the problem :wink:
    But the obvious 29er wheels surely roll over everything!?!
  • declan1
    I can't believe you lot haven't noticed I don't have a left leg yet :P

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    declan1 wrote:

Just assumed you had a farked up crank arrangement
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's rude to comment on peoples' afflictions.

Unless they are Fullymong, Lolcats or Duhrubez.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • declan1
    declan1 wrote:

Just assumed you had a farked up crank arrangement

That could be a very interesting way of pedalling.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    When in doubt go faster. Works for everything.
  • declan1

There's a pretty technical descent section on the XC course that has a lot of big rock formations and roots designed to cause an OTB crash. I tackle it really slowly, but everyone else just flies down it - I'm going to try a bit faster tomorrow!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• rockmonkeysc
    declan1 wrote:

There's a pretty technical descent section on the XC course that has a lot of big rock formations and roots designed to cause an OTB crash. I tackle it really slowly, but everyone else just flies down it - I'm going to try a bit faster tomorrow!

That's exactly the sort of section where speed will just carry you through. Brakes are bad.

Actual results may vary. I except no responsibility for any broken bones caused by my advice.
  • neddie
    neddie Posts: 101
    Could you not just get off and walk round it
    Boardman Comp.

Norco Fluid
  • rockmonkeysc
    neddie wrote:
    Could you not just get off and walk round it

Only if you ride a road bike.