Argon 18 Krypton

btiratsoo
btiratsoo Posts: 204
edited May 2014 in Your road bikes
Hello all. As some of you may know, I've had a couple of posts running in buying advice about bikes and groupsets. Well I finally bit the bullet and followed my heart much to my wallet's dislike! Thanks to everyone that posted advice, I really appreciated it all and it was all great. Please excuse the iPhone pics and my lack of photography skills.

IMG_4758_zps2f2951f9.jpg

IMG_4759_zps853460ad.jpg

Frame: Argon 18 Krypton (medium)
Forks: Argon 18 Krypton
Bars: 3T Ergosum (42)
Stem: 3T ARX-Pro (110mm)
Headset: FSA
Bar Tape: Prologo

Front Brake Lever: Ultegra 6800
Front Caliper: Ultegra 6800
Rear Brake Lever: Ultegra 6800
Rear Caliper: Ultegra 6800

Shifters: Ultegra 6800
Cables: Ultegra 6800
Front Mech: Ultegra 6800
Rear Mech: Ultegra 6800

Seat: Fizik Arione
Seat Post: Argon18
Seat Post Clamp: Argon 18

Cranks: Ultegra 6800
Chainring(s): Ultegra 6800 (compact)
Chain: Ultegra 6800
Cassette: Ultegra 6800
Pedals: 105 carbon
Bottom Bracket: Ultegra 6800

Front Wheel: Mavic Ksyrium SLR
Tire: Yksion

Back Wheel: Mavic Ksyrium SLR

Accessories: Elite bottle cage (x2)

Weight: 7.5kg (all in)

Other info: Bars and stem will be changed out to the red stripe when I get round to it - probably do it when I go back for the complimentary full Retul fit. Still playing with front end set up so excuse the spacers. Bar tape will be changed to black Fizik with red finishing tape when I get round to it as that is my personal preference.

I love this bike. My previous bike was in ill fitting Supersix which I loved but was far too big. Before that was an Allez. this is only my 3rd road bike and all I can say is wow. Makes me WANT to ride, which for the first time in a long time, be it mountain bikes, BMX or road, is a great feeling.

Once again, thanks for all the input on the other threads.

Ben

Comments

• Perfect, really looks good. Can you line up the valves & cranks to be perfect :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • btiratsoo
    Thanks again for the advice sloppy. I'll take another one just for you.
  • Very nice!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    btiratsoo wrote:
    Hello all. As some of you may know, I've had a couple of posts running in buying advice about bikes and groupsets. Well I finally bit the bullet and followed my heart much to my wallet's dislike! Thanks to everyone that posted advice, I really appreciated it all and it was all great. Please excuse the iPhone pics and my lack of photography skills.

Frame: Argon 18 Krypton (medium)
    Forks: Argon 18 Krypton
    Bars: 3T Ergosum (42)
    Stem: 3T ARX-Pro (110mm)
    Headset: FSA
    Bar Tape: Prologo

Front Brake Lever: Ultegra 6800
    Front Caliper: Ultegra 6800
    Rear Brake Lever: Ultegra 6800
    Rear Caliper: Ultegra 6800

Shifters: Ultegra 6800
    Cables: Ultegra 6800
    Front Mech: Ultegra 6800
    Rear Mech: Ultegra 6800

Seat: Fizik Arione
    Seat Post: Argon18
    Seat Post Clamp: Argon 18

Cranks: Ultegra 6800
    Chainring(s): Ultegra 6800 (compact)
    Chain: Ultegra 6800
    Cassette: Ultegra 6800
    Pedals: 105 carbon
    Bottom Bracket: Ultegra 6800

Front Wheel: Mavic Ksyrium SLR

Back Wheel: Mavic Ksyrium SLR

Accessories: Elite bottle cage (x2)

Weight: 7.5kg (all in)

Other info: Bars and stem will be changed out to the red stripe when I get round to it - probably do it when I go back for the complimentary full Retul fit. Still playing with front end set up so excuse the spacers. Bar tape will be changed to black Fizik with red finishing tape when I get round to it as that is my personal preference.

I love this bike. My previous bike was in ill fitting Supersix which I loved but was far too big. Before that was an Allez. this is only my 3rd road bike and all I can say is wow. Makes me WANT to ride, which for the first time in a long time, be it mountain bikes, BMX or road, is a great feeling.

Once again, thanks for all the input on the other threads.

Ben

Good choice. I look forward to a ride report on it as I am quite taken by that bike. Similar to a Cervelo R3 in some ways but a bit less common.
  • btiratsoo
    Calpol here is the first long ride verdict for you.

35 miles in the South Downs around Twyford, Alresford, Winchester and Fair Oak. 2 hours 30 mins at an average of 14mph with what seemed like a headwind the whole way round. This was my first road ride in nearly 6 weeks due to work (marine engineer) commitments so I was a little lethargic and stiff.
    On that note though, I was blown away by the comfort of this frame. My last bike was a too large Supersix (56 should have been a 54) that just didn't fit correctly. The wheels were swapped to this one so no change there. I did the same route and I honestly found myself seeking out lumps and bumps as the ability to absorb vibrations and reasonable sized hits is incredible!
    The reach, stack height and bars still need tweaking but that is by the by. Incidentally a longer stem and shorter reach bars seem like the way to go for me. A Retul fit was included in the price of the bike but I want to ride it for a couple of months before going back for a fit so that I have something to go on when the fitter asks me about my aches and pains.

I find it very difficult to compare the bike with anything else as I have only owned and Allez and a Supersix previously. Ignoring fit and just focusing on comfort and ride characteristics, I would say I much prefer the ride of this bike to the 'Dale. I loved the speed and agility of the "Dale, but having now ridden this I couldn't go back to one. It seems there is a slight compromise as I think the Argon's acceleration on the flat isn't as responsive as the Cannondale. I can't really comment on climbing as I am 102 Kg and 5ft11 so anything climbs slowly with me at the helm. What is apparent with the Argon, is that the slight loss in all out speed is more than made up for in comfort and feel. I think the best way to describe comes down to the fact that I wanted to do another loop when I got home whereas I would get home with the Supersix and just want to sit down. The only thing stopping me was time. Other than that I would still be out there! Hope this helps.
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    Really like this, and Argon in general.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Lovely looking bike. Enjoy!
  • Btiratsoo, that really is a gorgeous ride you have there and completely agree with Calpol in that it reminds me very much of a Cervelo R3, but with a nice curve to the seat stays. I think we may be in the same area, may I ask where you bought it from?

Regards
  • btiratsoo
    Ritchiel1707 the wheels came from Hargroves (I had them on my Supersix) and the rest came from Primera Sports in Bournemouth. Where abouts are you? You are welcome to give it a test ride one day if you are reasonably local.

Ben
  • Btiratsoo, currently on the other side of the world for another two months, but will be returning to Andover then. Thank you for the offer.