Akirasho Posts: 1,892
edited May 2014 in The cake stop
... and the Sterling controversy?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/ ... story.html

What say ye?

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    every country in the world has racists unfortunately.
    A good reaction by the NBA
    apart from that don't give a rats @rs about the NBA :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I don't care about the NBA, but I hate racists, so pleased to see a decisive response.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Really? Some racist bigot made some stupid comment in public and now he has a £1.2m fine, sell up some property and various other bans?
    I'm sure everyone has said some stupid things in private, but to lose your job over it and forced to pay fines?

What is the world coming to. People can think what they want. I would imagine that if this man was ranting about a white-dominated sport the other way around, the reaction would be significantly less.

Funny how the UKIP/Lenny Henry comment disappeared pretty fast.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    coriordan wrote:
    Really? Some racist bigot made some stupid comment in public and now he has a £1.2m fine, sell up some property and various other bans?
    I'm sure everyone has said some stupid things in private, but to lose your job over it and forced to pay fines?

What is the world coming to. People can think what they want. I would imagine that if this man was ranting about a white-dominated sport the other way around, the reaction would be significantly less.

Funny how the UKIP/Lenny Henry comment disappeared pretty fast.

Oh get a grip! He is the owner of a team almost entirely made up of black players in a sport dominated by black players. This wasnt just stupid!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Clearly a plonker, but has anyone stopped to think of where it ends up when it becomes "culturally illegal" to think or say certain things? All a bit Orwellian I think.
  • Anonymous
    I'm with bompington. People do far more stupid things every day.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I only wish that FIFA and UEFA were quite so prompt and effective with their punishments. It's embarrassing that the biggest game in the world still can't put together a meaningful response to racism at ANY level.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Here is a perspective:-

Be in charge of a sport team and say something stupid, racist and offensive - Lose your job and millions.

Be in charge of major banks and ruin the World economy - Keep your job and have a few million bonus.

Neither is right but the consequences are very, very skewed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Nope
  • Vesterberg
    Vesterberg Posts: 330
    Nope

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

POST SPONSORED BY SANIFLO

AA-PL-saniflo-large.jpg
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    coriordan wrote:
    I imagine the NBA was worried most about potential lost revenue from not acting as it did.

As you and Bompington say there should be scope for offensiveness in public without people bring stripped of their livelihood. It is as wrong as it would be to silence those who would argue with his position.
  • Anonymous
    He wasn't even IN public from what I think I read. Wasn't it a private party?

Some interesting comments here: (sort highest rated 1st)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-echochambers-27214773
  • What is the NBA and why does it have anything to do with our currency!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    It's one thing to say "I don't like black people", but completely another thing to ask someone not to bring "black people to my games". Whether in private or otherwise, that's not just someone having an opinion.

I applaud the NBA for acting swiftly and strongly, and (as mentioned above) only wish other sports would follow their example.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    mmmmmmmm meat.

You do mean the National Beef Association don't you? Have those naughty Friesian's been picking on the Highland Cattle again because of their long hair?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    What's the NBA?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Nice to see the usual conspiracy theorists out in their tin foil hats.

I'm not a huge follower of the NBA, I might watch a game on Sky Sports if there's nothing else to interest me, but I did read an interesting article on The Guardian about this. They likened Sterling's sancion to a Lifetime Achievement Award for Hatred because he's been an open source of embarassment to the NBA for years on end:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/a ... for-hatred

At the end of the day, this isn't about freedom of speech it's about the NBA as a brand. As an owner of a team and representative of the league, saying such stupid things is going to bring the NBA into disrepute and the management are going to do what they can to defend it. It sounds like he's had it coming for a long time and I wish other sports organisational bodies such as The FA, FIFA and the UCI would take a similarly strong approach.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Nope
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    I love the NBA :D

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=viCZGUb9rhU

:cry: Always get a bit emotional when I see this.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I prefer womens netball :twisted:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • southdownswolf
    Do they still play that Rounders game in America?
  • arran77
    Do they still play that Rounders game in America?

No, they play some bastardised version of it that they call baseball.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Do they still play that stop start game with a rugby ball, lots of padding and 50 substitutes?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • southdownswolf
    Do they still play that stop start game with a rugby ball, lots of padding and 50 substitutes?

Yes. They are in the middle of an advert break, game kicked off in 1983.....
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    arran77 wrote:

Surely there isn't a 'mens' netball!?
  • arran77
    gavbarron wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Surely there isn't a 'mens' netball!?

I hope not :lol:

seanoconn
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    coriordan wrote:

If you're holding the keys you take on the responsibility that comes with it.

In this case, it's not saying racist stuff.

S'not that difficult. I manage.

And anyway. It's basketball. Race is an even bigger deal in that sport than others.

I can tolerate this chap being collateral if it makes it clear that it's not anything that should be tolerated in any form.
  • Anonymous
    Even an ill thought out comment made in private?

As said before...quite Orwellian.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    It's obviously not private since we all know about it.