Strava Activity play back/Flyby

mtb-idle
mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
Ever wondered who those other riders are with a Garmin sitting on their bars but Strava never seems to tell you who you rode with?

Or do you wonder where they were going?

The new tool from that absolutely superflyguy at Veloviewer does this for you.

~~Go to this url:

Activity Playback

Select change activity at the bottom left and paste in the url of your recent commute/ride.

This auto-populates a list of riders in the table on the left. Click the box to select as many of them as you want and then press the > Play button at top left and see the points you meet the other riders.

How cool is that?
FCN = 4

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Not sure if it is cool - or 'Big Brother'.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I tried a few, they worked fine.

Then I tried to get it to load a sportive and got this message:

"Match data was not found for this activity. Please try again shortly as we are calculating this for you."

So did I overload it with such a long ride?

Nope, reloaded the page a little while after and it worked, it seemed slow but didn't seem to be loading up my CPU, GPU or RAM so could run smoother with some tweaking.

Christ it needs a 'Select All' button!

How long until we can have this data in real-time on a Google Glass or similar HUD as 'Ghost Riders' when we hit a segment?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    This is really cool. I've often wondered if there are others who ride a similar commute to me, whom I ought be sharing time in the wind with (and perhaps SCR'ing with) and this seems to be a tool with which to find them.

Anyone worried about 'Big Brother' ought perhaps consider whether they should be uploading all their rides to strava anyway... there is a privacy setting after all!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I emailed Strava specifically about doing this!

Good one
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Not unsurprisingly not a soul shows up on my normal commute, I did get passed by two roadies in Richmond Park, on my way to handover after the hospital. But for most part it's just me, and the deer.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Nobody appears on mine either ... well - other than the last one home when my wife rode out to meet me ... great success we had with that one - 3 punctures in one night!
  • mtb-idle
    for those that live in the ar$e end of nowhere or don't have long enough commutes to cross other riders paths stick a weekend ride in there or summat
    FCN = 4
  • I fly by quite a lot of you lot then according to that little app
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Its great. Like goal line technology but for SCR/park laps/crits
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    That's an excellent stalking tool.... I like it.

8)
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    Have only viewed on my phone, so yet to see the big screen glory, but this looks excellent!
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Could do with a time offset so you can compare your ride directly against someone elses - eg in a TT or if you do the same course time and time again then against another one of your own rides.
  • mtb-idle
    Slowbike wrote:
    Could do with a time offset so you can compare your ride directly against someone elses - eg in a TT or if you do the same course time and time again then against another one of your own rides.

contact the bloke at Veloviewr. He's always looking for new stuff to code and i bet he could do it. I really don't know why someone like Strava or Garmin connect dont hire him; he's streets ahead of them in terms of richness of functionality and ease of use (specifically Garmin).
    FCN = 4
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    All I get is 'error - please reload page' or something similar. I expect it's those oiks who look after our corporate network not doing the jobs they're paid to do, again...

:lol:

I'l try it later at home and see what gives.
  • what would be cool if garmin and strava got together and made your gps unit alert you when you are riding/racing against one of your followers, also would be a great way of putting names to faces instead of going oi you you on BR
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Oh god - stalkertastic. I now know the name of the lass I passed in the opposite direction on my way into work this morning.

It's quite cute watching all the other cyclists and where they were riding when you were out doing your thing though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Rolf F wrote:
    Oh god - stalkertastic. I now know the name of the lass I passed in the opposite direction on my way into work this morning.

It's quite cute watching all the other cyclists and where they were riding when you were out doing your thing though.

Last time I rode home with a lassie she looked me up on Strava turned out she's both fit, clever and likes it dirty (most of her rides are MTB trails).
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Travis Robison, Aug 22 2012 04:49 pm (PDT):
    Hello coriordan,

Thanks for the feedback. This sounds like a really cool idea actually. We definitely share these ideas with our design and product teams but unfortunately we just can't build them all. At least not right now but it's fun to think ahead. You can actually track your ride vs the KOM using the graph beneath the activity map and clicking on "comparison". But I agree that putting the icons on the map would make this more fun. Or some sort of playback feature to compare at some consistent pace, say 2x or 4x real speed. I'll be sure to share your suggestions.

Cheers,
    Travis
    Strava Support Team

coriordan, Aug 22 2012 04:02 am (PDT):
    Hi,

In London where I ride, many of us kind of know each other so keep an eye out for each others bikes, however often it says we rode together but we don't actually see each other.

It would be good if you could put 2 rides next to each other (when it says you rode together) and see where each of you were at any point in time (like 2 dots on 1 map and you could move your mouse along a time slider to see where you were at that time). Im not sure if this would work with multiple riders, but an idea could be

When it says you did ride on [DATE] with [6 other people], when you put the mouse over [6 other people] and their usernames pop up, you can add in a small checkbox by their avatar and then select a COMPARE RIDES link. Then perhaps have a full width map with a timeline underneath (where you can hover your mouse over the timeline and it moves GPS dots along the map (different colour for each person?) so you can see if you did in fact ride right next to each other) and then below, split the screen in 2 columns, with each persons ride data (Cadence/HR/Speed etc).

Perhaps make the columns narrower if there are more than 2 people or limit the information available - rather than having a graph for each person (in a 2 column split) just show the actual figures provided by that person's device at that point in time.

Just a thought - would be fun to compare!

Let me know what you think - it would be good to see if you take these kind of comments on board.

A similar thought is to do something similar except to track your ride vs the KOM for that segment and see how you compare (I know this is possible on some external websites, but would be good if it gave more data)

coriordan
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    So have you asked for your permanent free premium membership as payment? :D

It's a cool feature. Have used it to find out who I've been riding with a couple of times.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I can't work out how to compare my efforts to KOMs on the normal strava website (there are a few segments that I have ridden and yet don't hold the KOM). I'm sure I used to be able to move two coloured dots along the elevation of a segment, one blue, one orange, representing my position and the KOM's position for each second of the effort.
    Has this feature been removed?
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Wasn't that the race pace site rather than strava?
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Raceshape
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    vermin wrote:
    I can't work out how to compare my efforts to KOMs on the normal strava website (there are a few segments that I have ridden and yet don't hold the KOM). I'm sure I used to be able to move two coloured dots along the elevation of a segment, one blue, one orange, representing my position and the KOM's position for each second of the effort.
    Has this feature been removed?

I think it's been removed, Strava definitely used to have this feature.... If you viewed the leaderboard for a segment then ran the cursor along the "segment timeline" two dots would appear on the map, one was yours the other the KOM's. Was quite a cool feature, but since the re-work of the site, this seems to be removed.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    RaceShape still exists... but I can't see how I compare my own times any more :(
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building