Switch sides with V-brakes

rubez
rubez Posts: 323
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Is it possible to swap front V-brakes around, so the cable comes from the other side?

Then, the cable wouldn't be passing across left-to-right excessively, and the existing one would fit - no cutting new cable and re-doing brakes.

Bike is set up for brakes on the wrong side (right back, left front!)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No but you could always ride backwards.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, just get new cables.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubez
    Why wouldn't it work?

And more imortantly who brakes left-front and right-back!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    People who ride ridged, V equipped POS.
  • rubez
    right-front, left-back is the gold standard.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Not in europe I dont think
  • cooldad
    Or America, although 'Mericans are funny.
    Or anywhere in the world that didn't used to be part of the Empah old chap.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    If I can't switch the brakes, can you re-use the brake cable?

There will be a fat bit in it where the bolt crimped down on it...
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    PLEASE post some pictures of this infamous bike.
    You seem to be putting a huge amount of time and effort in to a BSO.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Are you talking about the left lever operating the front brake, and the right the rear, which is the opposite of what you want.

I think you may need new cables. I doubt you can get away with just swapping the cables around (rear brake out of right lever, and into the left, and front from left into right).

Pictures would help more as said.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Rubez, please don't waste all your awesome trolls at once. One at a time please so we can enjoy and laugh. I fear you will run out of ideas soon.
  • rubez
    I sorted it, had to cut new cables indeed. My new brakes came with cables anyway.

Got all the cables lengths done, but don't want to do the final tension until I get my new brake pads.
  • Chunkers1980
    That's nice.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Countries who drive on the left have their front brake on the right, countries who drive on the right have their front brake on the left. Simples. It's so you can indicate across traffic and still brake 'safely' (from the idea instilled in folk that the front brake is evil and will kill you).
  • pesky_jones
    njee20 wrote:
    (from the idea instilled in folk that the front brake is evil and will kill you).
    To be fair I dont think you can argue that a grab of the rear brake is as likely to chuck you OTB than a grab of the front.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I understood he was trying to get the cable approaching the brakes from the other side, this can't be done as the saddle that takes the noodle is on one arm and can't be swapped.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Do euro Vs work the other way though?
  • cooldad
    Nope, they are all the same.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    njee20 wrote:
    (from the idea instilled in folk that the front brake is evil and will kill you).
    To be fair I dont think you can argue that a grab of the rear brake is as likely to chuck you OTB than a grab of the front.
    You are far more likely to slide the back wheel than going over the bars.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    You are far more likely to slide the back wheel than going over the bars.

Hm I guess that's up for argument. I reckon that I'd rather risk sliding the back wheel, then a sudden jolt, bearing in mind you only have one hand on the bar. Each to their own
  • njee20
    If you're going to suddenly grab a big handful of brake there'll a huge likelihood you'll crash if it's the front, and a pretty small likelihood you will if it's the rear. So to that end it makes sense.
  • pesky_jones
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying
  • njee20
    Indeed, I'm agreeing.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993

Vs and calipers are both orientated such that the cable runs are nicer with the levers left-front, right-back. I've been toying with doing this for a while, but worried about launching myself over the bars the first time out.
  • njee20

The physical brakes are no different, but as above the cables are designed to run the other way round. You'll often find the top tube cable guides work better that way around too.
    I've been toying with doing this for a while, but worried about launching myself over the bars the first time out.

You'll be reet - it's when you swap back you'll crash!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Vs and calipers are both orientated such that the cable runs are nicer with the levers left-front, right-back. I've been toying with doing this for a while, but worried about launching myself over the bars the first time out.

Just to clear up the Vs are exactly the same. Just the cable us run to the other lever.

As to better routing etc. not really.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Agree, I run my bikes left-front and it makes afor a nicer looking setup. No issues getting used to it, and as a right handed person I obviously have my weaker hand on the front brake - but it makes it easier to brake while I'm taking a drink or turning right.

The one odd thing I noticed is that the brake pads on my Condor needed replacing, and the rear pads were worn quite a bit more than the front. Presumably due to my right hand working harder (ooh err).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    No one care what you do on your Condor.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    nicklouse wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Just to clear up the Vs are exactly the same. Just the cable us run to the other lever.

I meant nicer aesthetically (to my eye). I agree bugger all functional difference.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

I meant nicer aesthetically (to my eye). I agree bugger all functional difference.

Tell that to any MCer and see how you get on.

Also on an MTB most of your braking is done on the front wheel. Rear is just trimming and helping steering.

And then we get onto disc brakes, road or MTB. If aesthetics rules your world you had better get used to braking the other way around.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown