Back on flats, which shoes

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
After 4 years clipped in, I'm back on flats. Any advice on which shoes you'd buy if you were predominantly riding trail centre's with the odd uplift day (riding a 140mm trail bike, not full on DH)

Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shimano AM41 are great in British weather and have 95% of the grip of 5.10 shoes.
    5.10 are more grippy but extremely absorbant. Their new shoe is supposed to be more waterproof but after riding with someone who has just got a pair on Sunday his constant swearing would suggest they are still quite absorbant.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    depends on your budget. i've just bought a pair of gthe new slimmed down 5 10 impacts as my AM41s had finally given up the ghost after a hard 3 years.

the new 5.10's are a big improvement on the old ones in terms of weight, construction and not acting like a sponge. they are pricey though and still don't have a lace flap on them
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I don't have experience of them, but Teva look like they may be a good option.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    edited April 2014
    holiver wrote:
    I don't have experience of them, but Teva look like they may be a good option.

I have some teva links and they can be had for a bargain because teva have stopped making mtb shoes
    Very comfy and have decent splash proofing
    Perhaps not as grippy as I'd like and I'd imagine 5.10 or AM41 are more grippy, but they ain't bad especially as you get em cheap (£30 mine cost)

CRC also have 10% off all shoes at the moment with code 'FW10'
    So the AM41 is about £50 with free delivery
  • Another vote for the AM41
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    AM41 as long as you can get them to fit I always struggle with Shimano sizing they are too narrow for my flippers unless I go up a size then they are like clown shoes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    stubs wrote:
    AM41 as long as you can get them to fit I always struggle with Shimano sizing they are too narrow for my flippers unless I go up a size then they are like clown shoes.

With the badly shaved gorilla physique and the clown shoes, you're starting to sound like quite a catch! :lol:
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Another vote for Shimano AM41. As said they have almost as mush grip as 5.10 shoes but are far more practical for UK climate.
  • stubs wrote:
    Good point. I always go up a size with Shimano footwear.
    I don't worry about them looking like clown shoes - they aren't the prettiest looking shoes anyway.
    (My kid refers to them as 'baby Killer Whales')
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:

With the badly shaved gorilla physique and the clown shoes, you're starting to sound like quite a catch! :lol:

You know what they say about guys with big feet....
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    stubs wrote:
    stubs wrote:

You know what they say about guys with big feet....

Big feet, small winkie?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • stubs
    Men with Big feet have to buy big socks
  • sundaytrucker
    sundaytrucker Posts: 51
    edited April 2014
    I picked up a pair of Giro Jacket which have a similar look to regular skate type shoes (remind me of an old pair of Emerica shoes I used to skate in. They're not great to look at but at £40 the grip and sole rigidity is much better than my knackered Vans Rowley.

I was going to get AM41 but couldn't get my size when I needed new shoes.

Edit: the Giro shoes have proven themselves pretty decent on the puddle/splash test too. I don't think I have had wet feet when I have used them, although I am a bit more conservative now I have had my bike a few months and don't ride through the local brook and generally avoid any water that will go over the top of my shoes.
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Cool, thanks guys. I'll take a look at the AM's and some 5.10 Freeriders this weekend

Cheers
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I've also noticed the Fox Scrub which looks pretty cool:

http://uk.foxhead.com/en_GB/motion-scru ... ml#start=1

I think I am trying to decide between those and the Teva Crank:

http://www.teva.co.uk/mens-crank-vulc-b ... shoes-bike
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Are the shimano am41s made of leather, so you can just wipe them clean?

Most skate type shoes that are ideal for flat pedals are made of suede type materials which will soak up water more than a breathable leather type footwear.

I am also after some to wear on a morning riding into work as i cant be bothered with clip on shoes because its not a long journey to benfit from them.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    swod1 wrote:
    Are the shimano am41s made of leather, so you can just wipe them clean?

Most skate type shoes that are ideal for flat pedals are made of suede type materials which will soak up water more than a breathable leather type footwear.

I am also after some to wear on a morning riding into work as i cant be bothered with clip on shoes because its not a long journey to benfit from them.

It's not leather (I don't think) but it's certainly wipe clean. I use the 45's (the cleated version) and they're brilliant. Mine have now done over 2 years and although some of the white trim is now scuffed off they are still as rigid, comfortable and effective as they've always been. Certainly didn't need to go up a size in those either and the width was good, all of which was unusual for a Shimano shoe.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Shimano AM41 are great in British weather and have 95% of the grip of 5.10 shoes.
    5.10 are more grippy but extremely absorbant. Their new shoe is supposed to be more waterproof but after riding with someone who has just got a pair on Sunday his constant swearing would suggest they are still quite absorbant.

Pretty much all of this.

Love my AM41's.