Fulcrum Racing Zero ?

Dom.C
Dom.C Posts: 18
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys

Having basically ridden my last bike into the ground I recently splashed out on a new focus cayo evo 5.0 (2013 model). Having got a great deal on the bike i've got a bit of cash left over to play with and have been looking at upgrading the wheelset.

Being quite a aggressive rider i can feel the current racing 7's holding me back little on the climbs and when accelerating hard due to their weight (don't get me wrong i'm no powerhouse but you can feel the wheels sapping away power), i've therefore been looking at getting some shallow lightweight climbing wheels and always seem to come back to Racing zero's as the best way to go.

So basically does anyone have any strong opinions for or against or have any good alternatives in the same price range (The zero's are probably at the top end of that range to be honest)? Lightweight is a must but not too fussed about material, brand name etc.

Cheers Guys

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    For factory builts in that price range they are pretty damn good. Replacing bearings is expensive being ceramic. Shamal Ultras are a quite similar wheel albeit with different rear spoking, available for Shim/Sram and Campag, and are often cheaper to buy.
  • gazeds
    gazeds Posts: 182
    I've got a pair of zero's which I bought a couple of year's back, brilliant wheel's. I paurchased a pair of shamal's a few week's back, and I'd say there a lot nicer wheel to ride.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's not much difference between the Racing Zeros and Shamals IME, surprised that anyone could tell the difference TBH.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I have them. Perfectly nice and roll very well. Very happy with them and have had no issues.

But since I had some handmade ones which I absolutely love for my winter bike, if I had my time and money again, I would have handmade for my race bike too.....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    mfin wrote:
    For factory builts in that price range they are pretty damn good. Replacing bearings is expensive being ceramic. Shamal Ultras are a quite similar wheel albeit with different rear spoking, available for Shim/Sram and Campag, and are often cheaper to buy.

I tend to disagree. You don't seem to get much of any use for your money with the Zero. Above average rims with no particular merit and ceramic bearings, which are of no use whatsoever on a bicycle. Hubs with a carbon body that nobody seems to be quite sure what they do for you, other than giving you something else to worry about in case you don't have enough.
    The big zicral spokes give you a very stiff wheel if that's what you are after, but... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • I went to Zero's after using Kysirums Elites for a few years. I like them but I have had some concerns with the ceramic bearings being noisy. I have had to re grease then and they seem ok now, they have done aprox 4000 miles now, maybe this was a one off?
    I would seriously consider the Racing 1's or the Campy equivalent as you get normal bearings and only a very slight weight gain,that is in the hub anyway.
    The wheels do ride very nice, good climbers and roll well at 20 MPH on the flat as well. I am 85kg and they have never needed any truing, but neither did my Elites.

Rich...
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I've enjoyed owning a pair of Zero's for the last three + years. Only used on my best bike so not exposed to the trials of daily commuting. They have proved very durable (rims + bearings), they are still running true, and I think they roll very well (this is probably very subjective). I weigh about 85kg and have had no problems with spoke failure.

As mentioned by an earlier poster, Zero's are very stiff wheels - great for climbing however, if your bike frame is particularly rigid you may find the combination a bit too lively.

Peter