Men's Gel Saddle

danvannoorden
danvannoorden Posts: 36
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

Having just bought my Carrera vulcan the one and only gripe I have with it is the seat, it's awful on the butt. :(

I've been looking at these seats, male specific.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Bioflex-Ozone-Gel-Bike-Saddle-Seat-/400688104784?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5d4adf4550

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Bioflex-Sprint-Gel-Bike-Saddle-Seat-/111322704578?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item19eb59aac2

Has anyone got any experience with these seats? or could anyone point me towards a good seat similar to these?
Bearing in mind I don't want to spend £70 on a specialized seat or selle Italia C2.

The seat it to use while i'm commuting.

Thanks in advance,

DVN
DVN

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The first one looks awful - squidgy. It will feel lovely for a few minutes, then painful. The second less so.
    But stick with it - your butt will toughen up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The first one looks like it has a vagina.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You spend too much time with Miss Inflatable, I think.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Miss inflatable? what's that supposed to mean?

I'm after advice on a saddle on this post
    DVN
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    He means me, not you. It's just a couple of lame jokes between me and cooldad.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    They are both crap, are you wearing padded shorts? you would be better off with decent shorts and sticking with the Carrera saddle. Those stupid gels saddle offer no proper support and may well end up being worse for you.
  • He means me, not you. It's just a couple of lame jokes between me and cooldad.

I Figured Angus young. If that seat looks like a vagina then I'd hate to see what vaginas you have :D

WindyG, I didn't even know you could get padded shorts! It makes sense though no need for a huge padded seat, I'll definitely look into thats thank you.
    DVN
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing inherently wrong with Carrera saddles, sounds like you need to toughen up the muscles over your sit bones, podded shorts are a good move to.

Big squishy saddles means saddle sores from chafing.

I still have a carrera saddle I keep in our overseas office to use on hire bikes I use out here.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.