Head tube head scratching

Frosty0769
Frosty0769 Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I am getting back into biking after a short time away. I was really into it in the late 90's and early naughties and would spend my weekends crashing around Hadleigh in Essex (where the Olympic track is) I got back into it in about 3 years ago and purchased a new bike and have dipped in and out and not kept up with the technology and sizing.

My question is that I am trying to understand what size the head tube is on my Whyte 805 2011. It has a RockShox Recon Silver TK with 100mm travel which as far as I can tell is coil sprung and a little heavy. I am looking to replace these with something a bit more aggressive e.g 120-140mm, but when I look at forks online they give sizes of 1 1/8" or 1 1/8" tapered. I am only assuming I need 1 1/8" as the info on the whyte website says that the headset is 1 1/8". The spec for the bike is here: http://whyte.bike/2011/bike_page.php?ModNo=W-1-015-11

Then to top it all off I want to take the recons off of the whyte and put then on my old Orange X2 and I have know idea what size that is at all. No internet info at all on it. How would I measure correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Frosty
Going Grey Gradually

Whyte 805 2011
Orange X2 1998
Mongoose BMX

Comments

• Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    It doesnt appear that the Whytes headtube is tapered so 1 1/8 straight steerer fork should be fine. One way to check is to take the existing fork out and have a look. 120mm would be the limit of travel on the whyte frame, I wouldnt go any longer as you will mess up the handling and stress the frame.

I have no ideal about the Orange but hazarding a guess I would say it wont fit.
  • Cheers for the steer on that.
    Going Grey Gradually

Whyte 805 2011
    Orange X2 1998
    Mongoose BMX