replacing BB

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited April 2014 in Workshop
first time doing this job. All seems pretty straight forward, just want to know if I should grease the crank before slotting it back in? Also, there is green factory grease on the 105 BB I've bought - should I leave this on and also add some copper grease to the threads on the bike and the BB?

thanks

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    chatlow wrote:
    first time doing this job. All seems pretty straight forward, just want to know if I should grease the crank before slotting it back in? Also, there is green factory grease on the 105 BB I've bought - should I leave this on and also add some copper grease to the threads on the bike and the BB?

thanks

As in grease the crank spindle? I personally do, just a light smearing - avoiding the end section/clamping area. I don't remove the factory grease from the BB cartridges but a quick inspection should indicate if adding any more is required. I will also clean and grease the threads on the BB shell and also apply a little grease to the BB threads. I use a general purpose grease for the whole thing (Finesse).
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • chatlow
    yeah the spindle. Got some general purpose grease I can use on that. is it bad the mix the factory grease with copper grease? Just i was under the impression you should stick to copper grease for threads?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Grease for bits that move and anti-seize for bits that don't but you might want to remove at a later date.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • chatlow
    Hit my first hurdle - the old bb was an SM fc5600. This new is a 105 sm bb5700. Was told they are compatible but the "L" and "R" symbols are on the opposite adaptors with this new bb. Does this matter which way the inner cover goes in?

There is also mention of a spacer and ring for triple chai wheels. I've got a triple setup but no spacer on my old bb...

Pls help!!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Straight swap - inner sleeve isn't handed either, should fit either way around
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • chatlow
    All sorted. Bit of a nightmare as the crank would not slot all the way back through. Got stuck with a cm left and had to hammer it through with a towel to soften the blow. Turns out there was a spacer on my crank after all.

Anyway job done. Rotating smoothly with no play so happy days.
  • Ok guys im in need of some help im upgrading my crank set and my Bottom bracket i have a FELT F6 2012
    ( which has a TruVativ PowerFlo BB) however i have no idea what the helll that is and what i can replace it with i can not find much information on it anywhere.

if you guys could help me out with this information it would be greatly appreciated

once a again my felt f6 2012 has a TruVativ PowerFlo and i would like to know what kind of bottom bracket that is and what i can replace it with

many thanks

hope to speak to you soon