Grand Depart: Drawing Up a Plan

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited May 2014 in Pro race
Being prepared and diligent I have just drawn maps of plan of attack on catching the TdF.

I'm not going into Leeds - thinking of Harewood and then hack it up to Harrogate. Gives me 30 miles to get to Harewood from choosen base and then just an easy 10 to Harrogate.

Looking at Buttertubs or whatever its called but thats 50 miles from base and then what? well 50 miles back. Would that be the premier observatory anyway?

Any plans?

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I'm gonna be staying in Burnt Yates from the Fri to Mon. Any recommendations for me on best viewing points?
  • RideOnTime
    http://tourdefrancefanpark.co.uk/harrogate-tour-de-france-fan-park-2014.html

Here's the link to the Fan park open for 4 days!

I like their graphic with a few people just strolling about and no bikes in sight.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do you think there will be campsites near by?
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I rode stage 1 last weekend and I reckon that the best view point is at Kidstones. Its the first climb of the day, but just as it reaches the top, there are a couple of turns. (It would be pushing it to call them switchbacks).

If you manage to sit at the top of that banking, you should be able to see the riders come up the valley and then see them up close.

I've decided to go to the start in Leeds. I know it will be mentally busy but the atmosphere will be electric.

So we will wave them off and then go to the pub/fan zone.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    Planning on going to Leeds and the heading over to Harrogate. No doubt it'll be manic at both, but why not?!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    sjmclean wrote:

I used these for the Olympics and they were very good http://www.campingninja-le-route-yorkshire.com/about/. I've been thinking about using them for the Tour but it looks like my sister will be staying in Leeds when her Uni course finishes so that's hopefully my accommodation sorted.

I'd also been grateful for any advice on a rideable itinerary using Leeds as a base for both stages. I can use the car if necessary to get a bit closer to the action and would like to take in some viewing on the climbs if possible.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Ilkley Cycle Club have organised a camp site and various events. http://www.ilkleycyclingclub.org.uk/ind ... CC-Le-Tour

I'm staying with family near Ilkley but haven't figured out exactly where i'm going to view. Ideally try to a couple of different locations, but not sure how possible that is...
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    edited April 2014
    Stage 1

I'm thinking cycle into Leeds from home (10 miles) join in the manic atmosphere*, then carry on to watch the end & have a picnic in the Harrogate fan zone thing - it will be mobbed by the time we arrive, but can hope to find a bit of grass to sit on). Then cycle home. Will probably leave a car somewhere near Harrogate but on the route home a day or so before so some of my weaker/younger party can bail out and drive home.

Stage 2

Head out from home to Holme Moss very very early and get a spot as close to the top switch back as possible given the crowds and the ability/desire of weaker/younger ones to ride up the hill.

*The only thing that need thinking through is what to do with the bikes in Leeds at the start. I imagine wheeling them round would be tricky, and given the number of people just locking them up might be risky.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    sjmclean wrote:

I rode the Skipton-Hawes section of Stage 1 up Wharfedale last week. Plenty of banners up regarding various campsites up there, including a National Trust one near Buckden, so you should be spoilt for choice if you wanted to watch it there. Having said that, Buttertubs would probably be my preference.
  • RideOnTime
    I don't think its worth getting caught up in Leeds. Is it?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    I love that the ASO site is giving the climbs French names 'cote de buttercups' and 'cote de gritton moor' are third cats.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Who's going to vandal the tarmac with some 'art' to welcome any particular riders? Big chunky chalk (or paint cans!!?) at the ready?
  • Anonymous
    Great I might go for that campingninja place, will look into it more.

Do you recon anyone here would be willing to let me jump in their car one day to head out to the race?
  • Anonymous
    So been looking into this a lot this last hour, basically this is my plan:

Train from Glasgow to Leeds on Friday morning (£17.00), go to place I'm staying, found a hotel for £65 for two nights, cycle some of the route on Friday. Watch Grand Depart and finish in fan zone in Leeds. Stay Saturday night. Train through to Sheffield on Sunday morning (£8.20) watch finish or on of the climbs. Stay in Sheffield Sunday night and train back Monday afternoon (£19.00).

Will be open to changing, hoping for a bikeradar meeting at some point. Will be nice to put faces to names.
  • geoffh73
    geoffh73 Posts: 85
    philwint wrote:

*The only thing that need thinking through is what to do with the bikes in Leeds at the start. I imagine wheeling them round would be tricky, and given the number of people just locking them up might be risky.

Have you thought about leaving the bikes at Evans Cycle point opposite the train station? Should only cost a pound or two for up to 24 hrs.

Geoff
  • geoffh73
    geoffh73 Posts: 85
    Planning on bringing the family to watch stage 1 so the plan is watch the start in Leeds then train to Harrogate for the finish.
    Stage 2 should hopefully see me cycle up Holme moss, and the plan for stage 3 is to get the train down to London

Geoff
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I'm staying in Grenoside at a mates house for the Sheffield stage - I'll be travelling by foot while i'm up there - where's going to be the best spot (but within walking distance)? I know it's quite hilly round there...
  • RideOnTime
    I'm not sure I comprehend all these myths about extortionate hotel prices. When you've got 100 miles+ of places to watch. If the hotel on the route costs £200 a night you just drop back 25 miles and cycle in :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think I'm making up my own shocks - must get job with Daily Mail...
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,605
    My Dad works in a company pretty much in the car park of Sheffield Arena and they're having a "do" in the car park for family and friends.

Sister's just bought a house in Pudsey, so will watch in and around there, or train it into city centre.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I'm staying in Grenoside at a mates house for the Sheffield stage - I'll be travelling by foot while i'm up there - where's going to be the best spot (but within walking distance)? I know it's quite hilly round there...
    The summit of Jawbone Hill (i think they've called it cote d'oughtibridge) should be one of the best viewing points of the race, and that's a short stroll from Grenoside; the top of Fox Hill. Oughtibridge, at the bottom of the hill, has a park with big screen, but that's a mile or so further, downhill
  • RideOnTime
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz78yBOH_y4

Lets hope the Tour coverage is better than this...

Why's he puffing so much he's barely moving...

With unscripted commentary this bad he might get a job with Sky...

I can barely watch he's going to have a heartache before he's done...
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    My Dad works in a company pretty much in the car park of Sheffield Arena and they're having a "do" in the car park for family and friends.

In that case, I know your Dad. 8)
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • RideOnTime
    Well I watched the Cote d'oughtibridge youtube this morning and it had 90 views now it got 115!