What size spanner for rear gears

rubez
rubez Posts: 323
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Unfortunately my rear gears takes a spanner instead of an allen key, and I only have a large adjustable spanner, which is far from ideal.

So, anyone know the size of spanner I need, so I can get a small spanner with a ring side to easily tighten the cable in it?

Thanks.

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    You need a 5litre spanner for that
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Not sure which bolt your are talking about, the cable clamp bolt? Just measure across the flats of the bolt, it will be 8mm, 10mm or 13mm I would guess.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rubez
    The bolt that tightens down on the gear cable (after you tension it)

I ordered a 4th hand to make things easier, so I want to avoid using an crappy adjustable spanner.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You need a 5litre spanner for that

This
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    How hard do you want to hit it? Large spanner to hit hard, small spanner to hit less hard.
    Alternatively buy a spanner set and see which one fits?
  • rubez
    Fuck it, I'll just use the adjusty.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Course you will
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Of course any sensible person would check it with the shifting spanner and measure the gap.

No need even for Parktools, which hasn't been mentioned yet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    9mm on low level Shimano mechs....oddball size for those who are used to cars where you'll only ever get 8 or 10mm.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's a special weighted spanner you need. Your local bike shop will have one, ask them for a long weight and you will get exactly what you need.
  • Just go single speed or get a unicycle , , maintenance will be easy even for you.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    rubez wrote:
    The bolt that tightens down on the gear cable (after you tension it)

I ordered a 4th hand to make things easier.
    Are you some sort of inbred? Have you already got three hands?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Obvious. But they are listed as third and 4th hands for some reason. Just about pointless for gears but OK for Vs, which rubez claims to have as disks are shite.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    keep 'em coming Rubez, cheers up my day.