Tube strike: road craziness

pmorgan1
pmorgan1 Posts: 173
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
Not surprisingly many roads in London are packed today.

Almost got taken down by a van joining the main road from a side road. Report a near miss or let them off this time, what shall I do?

PS Watch out, this happened to me the 1st time, and was dangerous. Vans do join the main road from the right, but normally leave enough room for you. This long van turns into my path from the right when I'm doing about 20mph. Then I see their front wheels now next to the kerb. Danger close! Immediate reaction: I don't want to end up under their rear wheels, bear right and better brace for an impact against their safety bar at the rear.

Was rather hairy...

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Out on the edge of London can't say noticed a difference no surprising really since the tube doesn't quite reach so far out.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    The dirver's Nemesis' day and the self propelled commuter's revenge... all these long faces in long queues trying to go... nowhere really... I really enjoyed the commute this morning... :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Traffic wasn't much worse than normal here. But I did pass two of my colleagues and three of my neighbours on my way in. :-)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Got an earlier train to Waterloo, easily got a seat (surprise) then walked the 2+ miles from Waterloo to the office. Not a bad journey in considering.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    I can't say the ride in this morning was any busier although Strava recorded a lower average speed so it must have been. Loads more cyclists around. I am planning on leaving earlier as the roads are going to be hell. What about tomorrow with Chelsea playing at home !
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    From Clapham Common to PS was chaos I thought. Definitely leaving earlier today
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I am racked with jealousy. Thsi coincides with my return to work after my spine operation, and not being able to be on the bike, so I have been reduced to the appalling indignity of public transport at exactly the time it ceases to function. Great. I really, really miss the bike and cannot wait to get back on it.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    BigLights wrote:
    I am racked with jealousy. Thsi coincides with my return to work after my spine operation, and not being able to be on the bike, so I have been reduced to the appalling indignity of public transport at exactly the time it ceases to function. Great. I really, really miss the bike and cannot wait to get back on it.

I did worry last time around as I wasn't back on the bike, and was still on train/bus due to balance etc after a fractured skull, though living on the edge of London it wasn't much busier in February around here.
  • pmorgan1
    pmorgan1 Posts: 173
    Well the OP was more a question whether to report or not report the van that nearly took me, on the grounds of the strike :)