Can a seat post be too light?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I have a choice of two Deda carbon posts one is 20g lighter than the other one and although the carbon looks the same on both, the walls of the tube look wafer thin on the lighter one. Im not too bothered about 20 g but the lighter one has a nicer saddle clamp system and arguably nicer graphics. Ive had a post crack on me before at the frame clamp and at 74kg Im not the lightest rider. Is it worth risking the lighter one?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It's fine as long as you don't over-torque the clamp again.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Is there a rider weight limit? I've seen manufacturers state them on their weight weenie seat post offerings. If there's no limit then don't worry.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Grill
    Probably but you'd have to check with Deda. Personally I've never been a fan of their components. I'm all about Ritchey for reliable finishing kit.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Grill wrote:
    Probably but you'd have to check with Deda. Personally I've never been a fan of their components. I'm all about Ritchey for reliable finishing kit.

Are Scott still fitting Ritchey or have they moved everything over to Syncros now?
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Grill
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Are Scott still fitting Ritchey or have they moved everything over to Syncros now?

Depends on the model. The high-end stuff is still Ritchey.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW Ritchey just sold Syncros to Scott so expect the deal came with strings attached - like an 'exclusive' deal on Ritchey parts for top-end models
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..