ever seen a black xt m770 crankset?

rickbst170
rickbst170 Posts: 228
edited April 2014 in MTB general
I've got one. Picked it up second hand off a guy. He said it was on a Scott 29er, but that's all the detail I have.

It looks genuine, feels light, stamped where it should be etc so it is a genuine shimano part, but I've never seen before. Anyone else ever seen a black m771 chainset? Seem pretty rare.

Edit; think it's m770, not 771. Can't remember and it's in the garage. Little ring is 24t.

Screenshot_2014-04-26-21-58-48.png

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    They came on certain cube bikes around 2010/2011 iirc, they definitely genuine.
  • rickbst170
    Well done that man! Found em in 2 mins now that you said cube.
    http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/cube/stereo-team-2011

Been looking for a while to see where they came from.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The black's rubbed off and looks shite though
  • rickbst170
    Lol thanks chunky. To be fair, I agree though. Suspect the same will happen to black 785s.

I'm not too worried about looks. It's for my long overdue return to mtb. Not been on a bike for 7 years but me and the boy need to spend time together according to the missus, so I figured build a bike together and go blazing through the woods at the weekends. Performance and function is higher priority than making it look pretty. I'll be falling off of it a lot anyway so it'll get scratched, I'm sure.
  • Chunkers1980
    Oh yeah, performance for me too, but I tend to buy stuff that will keep for as long as poss. Shoe rub on them is inevitable, still if the price was right then you can't argue.
  • rickbst170
    Tenner :)
  • Chunkers1980
    Are the rings ok? 85 quid a set they are?
  • rickbst170
    Big ring missing a tooth, but got a 38t comin and 24 is in good nick, so spot on for running as a double.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I prefer the black chainsets over the gunmetal ones as I can colour in the black ones with a permanent marker when they get scratched!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Natural silver rules, no visible rub on my 2006 XT's.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The 2006 XTs were still anodised though, and if you scuff them will still look crap, you obviously just don't scuff cranks!

I put helitape on all my cranks - even polished ones will develop scuff marks.
  • The Rookie
    edited April 2014
    Come on, you know my cranks will have been bought (well) used.......so that's two people that don't...having said that I use SPD's which makes scuffing a lot less likely.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    I didn't say everyone scuffs cranks, I just know I do (and seat stays, and chain stays and top tubes, and the RH side of the nose of my saddle :? ), SPDs or not, and that anodised silver cranks don't look any less rubbish once scuffed than black.

I remember when I first had some XTR M952 cranks, I'd never really thought about scuffing before, was gutted when I put a big silver mark in them after 2 rides haha!
  • Chunkers1980
    I have 770s and scuff the hell out of mine with my AM45s and they still look fine after over 4 years use.
  • The Rookie
    njee20 wrote:
    I didn't say everyone scuffs cranks, I just know I do
    Very left field question - did you ever learn to ride a horse? Correct riding technique is toes straight ahead (not toes out western style) which is quite unnatural feeling (with your legs wrapped round a horse!) until you learn, then riding a bike perhaps I still (30 years later) keep my toes in!
  • njee20
    Nope, rode one once, hateful things. Not hugely bothered by scuffing, I never actually notice I'm doing it, just see the scuff marks on the paint! Clearly my feet want to 'sit' at a certain angle, far be it from me to correct that!
  • The Rookie
    I wasn't suggesting you tried it, it was just idle curiosity!
  • njee20
    No, there wasn't meant to be any hostility in my reply, in case it came across that way!

You'd think with SPDs it would be difficult, but I do it on the road too, and there's less float in the pedals then. Clearly just very duck-footed!
  • The Rookie
    Funnily enough the Son had a problem with walking very toes out, the doctor advised cycling as a way of him getting used to using his legs with toes ahead, at one point he would walk with his toes out by well over 45 degrees aside.

No hostility detected!