Replace Avid Juicy 3.5

andreibirsan
andreibirsan Posts: 12
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys. I am quite new to the forum, so please go easy on me. :)

I have a Scott scale 35, and I would like to replace my noisy Avid 3.5 rotor and pads.
Do you guys know a good combination of rotor and pads that are not loud but still have a great stoping power as my current avid.
Currently my rotor on the front is 180mm and 160 rear. Can I mount any rotor as long as it is of the same size?

What good combination would you guys recommend?

Appreciate your suggestions :)

Comments

• http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... ing-22829/ Have a look
    Many recommend Superstar pads , my avids where noisy in wet. New avid pads properly bedded in with a few controlled stops from a fair speed and problem solved.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on what noise you have, rubbing, constant pitched whine or various moans and groans, all have different causes and solutions.

No need to change the disc, just change the brake calliper clamping it, although lightweight discs are prone to high pitched whines.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have like a pitched noise on the disk break, and more like a groan on the back one..I looked it online and saw that the pitched one could be because of oil or did on the disk break and pads.For the back one maybe the pads are not aligned properly.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A high pitched whine that changes in volume but not tone is a resonance, make sure all the bolts are tight, after that you have to change something, organic pads are less prone than sintered,avids are worse as the cps mounting looses stiffness.

Moans and groans can be due to contamination, even if the contaminant is water in a wet ride, give it a good clean up, maybe change pads or replace the lot if you really want.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'll give everything a good clean, and check all the bolts. I was thinking for going organic but I don't want to change them every month, still riding in the city, so they might not wear that fast.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Kevlar - best of both...