peat
peat Posts: 1,242
edited May 2014 in MTB general
I'm Peat.

And I'm.................I'm a.......

*choke*

I'M A FAIR WEATHER RIDER. :shock:

Phew, that feels better.

I really rediscovered my joy for MTB (having defected to road biking for a few years) during that sustained dry-spell we had a few weeks ago (in the South). So much so that I decided to replace my aging/knackered entry-level bike and spank some lolly on a nice new Carbon Hardtail 29er. Yippee!

The thing is, the bike arrives this week and............. It's fecking wet! And has been for the last week solid.

I've never liked riding in the mud, or when it's raining. I don't like the loss of adhesion and the increased faff.

I currently justify my fair-weather policy based on that I dwell in a 1 bed flat. The bikes live indoors, in my bedroom. I can't stand dragging a dirty bike through the place and the thought of spending half an hour cleaning the thing when i get back, cold, wet and tired really reduces the enjoyment i get from actually being out riding the wretched thing.

I can't be alone. Any other brave souls care to join me and tie their flag to this mast? We can co-exist/overcome the 'MTFU' brigade if we have numbers! Believe in yourselves!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    This should be in the crudcatcher then I could call you a roadie riding poof who wanted to be seen to be riding a real man's bike but was too much of a fairy to enjoy slipping and sliding around in mud, however as it's not the CC and can't so I won't.

I prescribe a double dose of MTFU and a weeks bog diving to rid you of this affliction.

I also think you should lend me your nice carbon 29er so that she can be shown the real delights of mountain biking just once in her life, she deserves the one satisfying ride!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I do ride in the rain, but when I ride the MTB in the rain I do always sign inwardly at the hosing off of clag that I have to do at the end of the ride when all I really want is to get a hot shower and a bacon sandwich.

so sort of mtfu but also I get where you're coming from
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I don't like riding my MTB in the wet. I'll do it for racing, and occasionally if I'm really taken, but generally I'll go out on the road if it's wet under tyre and use the turbo if it's really really raining.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Yup tie me to that mast

It doesn't have to be fair weather just dry-ish. Living where I do I can pick and choose when I want to go out and if it's raining I can wait a few hours or a few days it makes no difference
  • njee20
    I get edgy if I don't ride a bike at all, I'd never have a few days off purely because of the weather, just tend not to use the MTB!

There's something satisfying about a road ride in the wet, as long as you're warm enough. Wet summer rides can be great.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Oh my god, to quote "Where have all the good men gone, Where are all the gods"!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I do commute in all weathers I just find the post ride mud removal from an off road ride a bit of a pain in the backside
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    So, am I the only one who finds hosing their bike down when it's caked really satisfying?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • peat
    addendum to my OP - I have no outdoor hose so use one of those hand-pump garden sprayers. It's a ball ache.
  • Angus Young
    Peat wrote:
    I have no outdoor hose so use one of those hand-pump garden sprayers. It's a ball ache.

Now that would be pain.

Need to get yourself one of those power washers.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Where are all the gods
    Someone from Wales will be here soon
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    .blitz wrote:
    Where are all the gods
    Someone from Wales will be here soon

you called?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I used to go out in all weather but can't be bothered cleaning it off my MTB now. So only MTB when the trails have dried out enough not to be thick with mud. If they are too muddy then the road bike comes out.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Cleaning a really muddy MTB doesn't take that long with a hose if you do it straight away, its the cleaning of kit which is a pain in the (soggy) bum.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • njee20
    I think the thing I enjoy least about the mud is going slowly! I want to go fast, and find it really depressing when trails that you often fly down you end up pedalling through axle deep crap to make progress!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    As mostly a roadie these days I tend to only ride the MTB once I've gotten sick of salty road spray and close passes in poor visibility, which usually means the trails are nice and dirty and muddy.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I live in a one bed flat too , fortunately my bike fits in the bath with a shower over. The only hassle is cleaning the bathroom.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I live in a one bed flat too , fortunately my bike fits in the bath with a shower over. The only hassle is cleaning the bathroom.
    With my Holmes like gift of deduction, I can tell you don't have a girlfriend.
  • Angus Young
    edited April 2014
    BigAl wrote:
    I live in a one bed flat too , fortunately my bike fits in the bath with a shower over. The only hassle is cleaning the bathroom.

Ah, but perhaps he does: he admits to cleaning the bathroom afterwards.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Rain doesn't bother me, I actually enjoy a rainy ride as long as it's not cold.

I'm more temp sensitive, sub 3c and I've got to be pulled out of the Van kicking screaming, and once it's below freezing I start to moan when I'm actually riding.

Hale on the other hand, I bloody hate hale - little balls of pain and suffering that litter the trail like ball bearings, only more slippery. Bastards.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    BigAl wrote:

Ah, but perhaps he does: he admits to cleaning the bathroom afterwards.

If I washed the bike in the bath the wife would be cementing me into a new patio :)
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I dont really mind the weather after 5 minutes of riding you stop noticing it. Although I had to abort my ride on saturday as I timed it to coincide with amonsoon and I stopped being able to see through my glasses for rain.

I have to admit to not always bothering to clean my bike after though. Its not the cleaning, its the trying to dry it off that annoys me - and the wife keeps giving me an odd look when i say I'm off to buff my sprockets in the garage :lol:
  • njee20
    I can only imagine as a punishment the weather was utterly horrific riding home, biblical rain, roads flooded with black water, which was slightly disconcerting. Slippery as a very slippery thing. But a near 21mph average riding home trying to get out of it, so not all bad!
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    On the road I am a fair weather rider, off road I actually hate the real dry weather, prefer it damp, rode through a load of showers a few weeks back and really enjoyed it, don't mind mud but do hate the cleaning up later.
  • Angus Young
    Wind is the only thing I don't like. Cold, wet and muddy is fine.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Sunday is ride day doesnt matter what the weather is we ride.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Most of my rides double as dog walks/runs so weather doesn't matter as I have to go out anyway. But TBH I like the challenge of slower, more slippery routes that would normally be technically quite easy, but in adverse conditions have me bricking it.

I however, have a great setup for cleaning, relubing and storage. So that helps.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • If it's hammering with rain I don't often venture out - being visually challenged, hard rain and spectacles are a crap combo - particularly at night or on a road section. However, MTB'ing in all conditions makes MTB'ing fun, varied and mental. And no bike looks better than when it, and it's owner, and the kitchen floor, are caked in shite :D
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Peat wrote:
    addendum to my OP - I have no outdoor hose so use one of those hand-pump garden sprayers. It's a ball ache.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Power- ... ure+washer

I use one of these, the spray is a bit week, but combined with the soft brush if cleans it pretty effectively
  • peat
    Indeed, that's what i use. Good for what it is, but still a bit short of a proper hose.

But, very very good for a quick hose down before leaving a trail-center etc.