City tyre MTb

andreibirsan
andreibirsan Posts: 12
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys.

I finally decided to start biking more in the city and buy some good city tyres for my scott scale 35.
My bike has a Mavic XM-317 rim and currently running a XC tyre.
Wanted to buy something more suitable for biking on tarmac, something faster.
Any suggestions for a good city tyre?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a search on here, this question comes up about once a week.

The go to budget option is the Schwalbe city jet from circa £11 each, after than you have a jump to about £25 each for various offerings which will be a bit lighter and faster rolling, of the ones I've tried the best are the Panaracer RiBMo and Conto sport contact.

All in 26x1.5 with a suitable sized tube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • As above mentions...
    I swap over to Conti Sport Contacts when I'm doing a Coast-2-coast or doing any summertime commuting on my MTB.
    Good punture proofing too.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Ill check them out :)
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I had Continental Sport Contact in 26x1.6 on my Scandal when I used it for commuting. A good tyre with a nice round profile. I had the City Jet's before that which seemed to be more V shaped.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited April 2014
    Not as v shaped as the RiBMo, I have a RiBMo on the rear and a sport contact on the front. I used to have some WTB slickasaurus, they are good, spesh nimbus were disappointing so now reside on my town hack bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What do you guys think about the Schwalbe marathon plus or the Continental travel contact?