X-Fusion Hilo V ICE Lift V8

Schellpel
Schellpel Posts: 119
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Due to my dodgy Knees I now have to ride around with the seat at the ergonomically correct height. However its way to high for any sort of downhill section and stopping to lower the post and then finding the correct height again after is proving a right Pain :twisted: :twisted:

So I am looking for a dropper post, but funds are tight as I have just has to replace the shock. The two I am looking at are the 2012 X-Fusion Hilo 125mm and the ICE Lift V8.

Of the two which is the better bet ? the X-Fusion is about £25 the dearer. I aslo might have to remove the seat post to get the bike on the car rack with other bikes.

Comments

• Schellpel
    I will also add this one to the list

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... ;orderby=2

My bike is a mongoose teocali and it has an interrupted seat tube, which by my calculations will leave a fair bit of the bottom of the post hanging out the bottom
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go for the x fusion. Well known brand with good back up and spares availability if you need it and a good reputation for reliability.
  • Schellpel
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking

The question is 100mm or 125mm drop and is the 100mm post shorter overall ?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Ho much do you normally drop your saddle?
  • Schellpel
    Probably about 100mm, have never really taken much notice of how much I think either 100 or 125mm would suite. I was more interested in overall length of the seat tube. From the seat rail to the bottom of the seat tube (the interrupted bit) Is 390mm. The Hilo 125mm is listed as 420mm long I can't find the same info for the 100mm version.
  • Schellpel
    Is there any disadvantage of 125 over 100 ?
  • Schellpel
    Found the specs for lengh

The 100 is 410mm the 125 is 420mm so not really a lot in it I think I will go for the 125
  • Schellpel
    I went of the Hilo 125 and got out on my first ride with it today. I had to put air in it out of the box as shown in the manual. It works really well, but it has annoying habit of developing some squish when fully extended. It sits down about 1cm when I put my wait on it. If I cycle it a few times slowly it firms up again. But let it extend quickly and the squish is back again.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I'd get that sorted out under warranty if I were you
  • rockmonkeysc
    Sounds like it needs a bleed
  • Schellpel
    I got the issue sorted, it needed a little more oil in it. It's been working fine since. This video is really usefull as it show you amongst other things how to get the oil in the top chamber so that you can depresurise it and add more oil without spraying it out everywhere.

http://vimeo.com/72088249