New Crankset for my Carrera Subway

tweedsolutions
tweedsolutions Posts: 21
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Carrera Subway with a Suntour XCT 8 speed triple crankset. I would like to do some full loaded touring on it and as such would like to swap the crankset for a 42/32/22. Would anyone know if this would be suitable...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-acera-m361-triple-chainset-square-taper/rp-prod106885

Or could you recommend something else?
Many thanks

Comments

• bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    There is not enough data to provide a conclusive answer.

The proposed Shimano FC-M361 crankset requires a square taper bottom bracket with a 122.5mm spindle.

The crucial missing data is the spindle length of your currently installed BB. To find this out, either extract the cranks and measure the BB spindle length or keyword search Suntour's installation docs using the exact model number of the cranks (which will be printed/stamped on the inside surface of the cranks).

If the spindle lengths do not match or is very close (like 121mm), then you will need to buy both a crankset and the corresponding compatible BB.
  • Thanks bikaholic. I expect i'll buy a new BB anyway, so will make sure i get the right one.

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have a triple now it's almost certainly 42/32/22 anyway?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    If you have a triple now it's almost certainly 42/32/22 anyway?

Why would you assume that?

It has a 48/38/28
  • The Rookie
    I assumed that as the last Subway I looked at was 42/32/22 - though the latest ones I see do have the touring ratios.

It's a pretty steep hill before you can't get up it on a 28:32, will you be climbing that steep a hill?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Think your wasting time with this.
    Like The Rookie said, almost defo you got a a 42/32/22 already.
    There is no gearing benefit in changing your cranks for heavy laden bike, more the other way if you gone a taller 48T for higher road speeds.
    There's also no point in making the bike lighter with better quality cranks if "Fully Loaded Touring" is the object.
    Perhaps getting away from square tapered BB for a stronger Hollowtech might be good as if the bike is loaded and your a big strong guy, you may just possible square the tapers off, although unlikely.
    Spend your money for decent touring tyres and cycling kit.
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • The Rookie
    Latest subways are on 48/38/28......
  • LOL - That's what I've been saying for the last 5 days. Did no-one believe me :-)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    This forum as a whole takes a sceptical view of what's said by OPs
  • The Rookie
    Tweed, I asked at the start and agreed yesterday.....honest!

Back to the subject in hand though, do you really NEED the lower lowest gear?

Be aware that if you fit a 42 the front mech will have to be lowered which may or may not be possible due to the positions of the bottle cage bolt bosses relative to the clamp.
  • Hey The Rookie, I know, I know - thanks!

If i'm really honest, No, I'll probably get away with the 28. I'm just being lazy :-)

Thanks for the help and advice.