Hubsmith rear hub - bearing and axle removal

rafletcher
rafletcher Posts: 1,235
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Long story, but I need to remove and replace the ratchet ring in the rear hub. Got the end caps and freehub body off no problem. So now I need to remove the axle and bearings - anyone know how?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    Can you replace it? As far as I know only Novatec offer spare ratchet rings for their hubs
    left the forum March 2023
  • rafletcher
    I've one on the way from them, so it seems so.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Normally the axle engages with the bearings, so you need to knock it off and one bearing will pop out with it... you can then knock the second bearing off if needed.
    You need a tool to remove a ratchet ring, do you have that one? I have the Novatec one, but it only works for Novatec ratchet rings
  • rafletcher
    Ah I wondered, so will have a go with my trusty mallet at knocking the axle through. I haven't any special tools (i've googled and seen what you mean) so it'll have to be a trip to the LBS I guess, and see what they can do. Out of interest is it a press fit into the hub body?
  • ugo.santalucia
    rafletcher wrote:
    Ah I wondered, so will have a go with my trusty mallet at knocking the axle through. I haven't any special tools (i've googled and seen what you mean) so it'll have to be a trip to the LBS I guess, and see what they can do. Out of interest is it a press fit into the hub body?

No, it is screwed in. I have this one, but only fits Novatec

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Tools-Novate ... 20Tool.asp
  • rafletcher
    Right, so it is - r/h or l/h thread? I'd assumed r/h so that pedalling would tighten it - but looking at the tool I'm less sure.
  • ugo.santalucia
    rafletcher wrote:
    Right, so it is - r/h or l/h thread? I'd assumed r/h so that pedalling would tighten it - but looking at the tool I'm less sure.

Of course it is a right hand thread or as you say it would come loose as you pedal. I am not aware of shops having anything similar... in fact I could be the only one in the area having one of these... :shock:
  • rafletcher
    Thanks for that. I may have learnt an expensive lesson!
  • ugo.santalucia
    rafletcher wrote:
    Thanks for that. I may have learnt an expensive lesson!

Count the teet and the external diameter... if it fits I am happy to lend you my tool, but it would be a really lucky coincidence (or your hub is made by Novatec, which wouldn't be so unusual)
  • rafletcher
    Sadly no such luck. I got a hub with Shimano freehub and wanted campag, so ordered a replacement. Sadly the internals are different in terms of number of teeth and diameter - 30 vs 48, (the Novatec is 27 according to that tool ad you linked to) and pawls with a single engagement tooth versus oneswith 3 teeth. Internal diameter is also different. But thanks for the kind offer! I now have to decide whether to get the wheel rebuilt with a new hub (they're new DT Swiss RR440's so a decent enough rim) and see if I can sell the existing one, or try and remove the ratchet ring by some forceful means (I have access to an engineering workshop) and risk trashing the hub totally.