2009 specialized stumpjumper

Northern_Monkey13
Northern_Monkey13 Posts: 79
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi while I'm saving up for a new bike I've been looking at new forks as mine RS dart 2 forks are beginning to give up.
So was looking at a new set to replace them (rs reba's) but a lad I cycle with has mentioned he has 2009 stumpjumper ht which he might sell hopefully not daft money.
So was wondering if the anyone has or still owns the same bike, how good are and if it would be a better improvement then buying new forks for my 2007 trek
The fox forks were serviced within the last year and they hardly been used since he got a new bike.
Any advice would be great.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Based on that, who can say?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They're decent frames, virtually unchanged compared to the current ones. However... as your forks are knackered surely the pertinent piece of info is what the forks (and indeed other bits) are on the Stumpy...?
  • There Fox float f90 RL with 90mm travel and mixture of xt/slx drivetrain. Not certain which brakes but got to be better then my juicy 3's
  • njee20
    Sounds like you've already decided then.
  • a 5 year old bike is just someone eases worn kit, Why do you think he's getting rid of it?
    Either buy a new bike or buy replacement kit for your own.
    Ribble sell stuff that is as cheap as you can get and there's a host of decent forks out there if you look.
    The Rockshox recon air are brilliant for the money.
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most of this is generalised rubbish. ^^^^^^^^^^^

Plenty of good second hand bikes out there, just buy carefully.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah thats what i thought..

My reason im asking about it is this is the bike i have -

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... model=6000

and this is the one im looking at -

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... tumpjumper

and if the stumpjumper is a better frame i might as well upgrade that bit by bit rather then the trek as my plan is to have a good hardtail for xc racing and then a full suspension for long rides.
  • francis666 wrote:
    a 5 year old bike is just someone eases worn kit, Why do you think he's getting rid of it?
    Either buy a new bike or buy replacement kit for your own.
    Ribble sell stuff that is as cheap as you can get and there's a host of decent forks out there if you look.
    The Rockshox recon air are brilliant for the money.
    There seems to be a trend with your generalised advice , not everyone has the resources you appear to have
  • njee20
    and if the stumpjumper is a better frame i might as well upgrade that bit by bit rather then the trek as my plan is to have a good hardtail for xc racing and then a full suspension for long rides.

Is it actually that bike, or have you just linked to a 2009 Stumpy? We didn't have that model in the UK, and I'd not want a v-brake one.

It is a better frame than your Trek for sure.