Trek Madone 7 Series Project 1

n4th4n007
n4th4n007 Posts: 364
edited April 2014 in Your road bikes
I'm 40 in a few weeks so to ease the mid-life crisis I treated myself, although not quite the shiny red sports car !

Spec is as follows:

Trek Madone 7 Series Project One Signature Series
Dura Ace 9000 driver train & shifters
Dura Ace 9010 Aero brakes
Bontrager XXX Bars
Bontrager XXX stem
Bontrager XXX Cages
Bontrager RXL tubeless wheel set
Bontrager R3 Tyres
Fizik Arione CX Saddle
LOOK Carbon blades

Trek MK helped me set up the rear brake as the 9010 calliper is a 'beatch' to set up, actually not as much adjustment as the Bontrager callipers, plus you can't seem to adjust it to centralise ?! (but looks a lot better !). It weighed in at 13.6lb w/o pedals, pretty pleased with it. Only downside is that due to the new routing of the Dura 9001 shifters, you can't route the gear cables through the bars as the arc is too tight and affects the shifting, so have a few odd holes in the bars!?

Joins the P1 Domane :D

uc?export=view&id=0B0MAgTzfAC6MVGZZX0pNZGNsTzg

uc?export=view&id=0B0MAgTzfAC6MX3I1WERJM3ByRGM

p4pb10884851.jpg

uc?export=view&id=0B0MAgTzfAC6MV3hTWTRFWGFBQWc

p4pb10884842.jpg

uc?export=view&id=0B0MAgTzfAC6MOUM3OVlnZ3UzT28

uc?export=view&id=0B0MAgTzfAC6MQ3RhTm9ZSllxSnc

uc?export=view&id=0B0MAgTzfAC6MdmRuc0p6a1UwYk0

Comments

• Well done! Top bikes. Happy 40th.
  • Nice touch with the signature, assuming it's yours of course!

How does the seat tube & post interface work then as the post looks wider than the seat tube?
  • n4th4n007
    The signature is the Trek guy at the Winconsin factory that sprays the frame, once it's all done he signs it. Seat post mast just fits over the top the seat tube extension.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I like the domane, but I'm not a fan of the madone. All the options in the world for colour and you paint it black? Zzzzzz
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Nice bikes. Happy 40th!
  • Boxsters
    Boxsters Posts: 325
    Very nice chap. I take it the Madone is what they call their vapour coat?

I love the Madone but the question is which one do yo prefer to ride?
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    Nice work, love the paint scheme on the Domane!
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Cool bike :D

Fill the handlebar hole with black silicone maybe?

Look at the bar end caps :oops: The b isn't straight!
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • n4th4n007
    Boxsters wrote:
    Very nice chap. I take it the Madone is what they call their vapour coat?

I love the Madone but the question is which one do yo prefer to ride?

Had my first ride on the Madone tonight, only 30m but got a good feel for it. The main difference off the bat, compared to the Domane, is that you feel as though your knuckles are dragging along the tarmac, mainly due to the fact the head tube on the Domane is HUGE !! I have the H1 geo on the Madone and currently at 15mm spacers, until I get the height just right. Don't feel I could any lower at the moment.

The Madone is a lot comfier than I thought it would be, not at the same level of the Domane, especially over small pitted tarmac / pot holes. I think the Madone rear stays play a big part in that.

The brakes are un-ferking-real. I'm not sure what the Bontrager callipers would've been like, but the DA 9010 callipers are bloody impressive. I nearly went over the bars on the first major stop. I have Ultegra on the Domane and I can honestly say they are like going from V-brakes to disc brakes on an MTB ! They really deliver a "F*&@K Me I'll be a careful next time"

The ride is fast, it climbs really well, so well you feel you want to go a fair bit quicker than normal and one thing I noticed compared to the Domane is that I can attack / put the power down a lot easier on a climb, where as the Domane feels a little lethargic, the Madone simply wants it!

The Domane is a bike for the English roads, it will take anything you can throw at it, and you'll finish a century sportive feeling pretty good, I don't miss the back ache, shoulder ache etc.

The Madone is a bike to go very quickly form A-B, after a century sportive you'd feel done.....but you'll finish it a fair bit quicker than the Domane.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    oh yes... very nice. :)
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    Work seem to blocking some of you're pics. Bum.

I also have a Madone 7, although its in vapour coat (which TBH, I'm not a fan as its fragile and prone to chipping). Similar situation approaching 40, sportscar waste of money and no good with 2 youngsters so flash bike it is. Good stuff.

Great choice though. Despite being "a Trek" (yawn, yawn, yawn), its much less ubiquitous than you'd think (especially if you've murdered out the Trek badging as I did).

Anyway, I think you'll find it might settle down a bit, I've down several century rides on mine and its been pretty comfortable despite running deep section aero wheels (and yes rear brake set up is a major bizatch with the wider Aeolus / SMART system style rims).

One thing I'm curious on, and noticed from the one picture that works is the cabling, are you sure you cannot route internally? I'm sure mine is (although I have DA9070?), I have the same aero bars too. I will dig out a photo and show you how mine are cabled (although bike is at home I could be dreaming).
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    n4th4n007 wrote:
    I'm 40 in a few weeks so to ease the mid-life crisis I treated myself, although not quite the shiny red sports car !

you made the right choice, first Madone I've liked the look of. Happy 40th
  • n4th4n007
    stongle wrote:
    Work seem to blocking some of you're pics. Bum.

I also have a Madone 7, although its in vapour coat (which TBH, I'm not a fan as its fragile and prone to chipping). Similar situation approaching 40, sportscar waste of money and no good with 2 youngsters so flash bike it is. Good stuff.

Great choice though. Despite being "a Trek" (yawn, yawn, yawn), its much less ubiquitous than you'd think (especially if you've murdered out the Trek badging as I did).

Anyway, I think you'll find it might settle down a bit, I've down several century rides on mine and its been pretty comfortable despite running deep section aero wheels (and yes rear brake set up is a major bizatch with the wider Aeolus / SMART system style rims).

One thing I'm curious on, and noticed from the one picture that works is the cabling, are you sure you cannot route internally? I'm sure mine is (although I have DA9070?), I have the same aero bars too. I will dig out a photo and show you how mine are cabled (although bike is at home I could be dreaming).

Cheers, the chaps at the Trek MK store said there has been a communication regarding the routing of cables on the XXX Aero bars, basically it showed how to route, one either side. However with the new 9001 shifters (I think these are different than the 9000) the brake and gear cable exit the shifter virtually next to each other, so essentially they would both have to be routed through the inside internal ho!le of the bar. Apparently thats a no-no. So they stuck them both externally. Shifting is sooooo easy with these shifters compared to Ultegra 68xx though.