lower suspension leg diameters and lengths

adrianlit
adrianlit Posts: 8
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi can people help me out.im designing a product for suspension folks and I need the diameter and lengths for the lower legs with the sizes where the disk mounts are of all the major makes rockshox etc tried find size's on websites but I can't find the details please help me asap

Comments

• Thats the length I need and the tube leg diameters
  • Its there somewhere on the manufacturer websites. I've uses it previously to compare axle to crown lengths of fox/rockshox.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All on the websites if you look, like this
    https://www.sram.com/sites/default/file ... _1_1-8.pdf

Lots of research to go.

But your red lines are from randomly somewhere to randomly somewhere else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    This, unless you want the accuracy as plus or minus a few inches!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The arrows.were.done freehand on a phone app its the total length I need until the tube gets wider near the top support brace hope this clears things up
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Lots of research to go.

But your red lines are still from randomly somewhere to randomly somewhere else.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    adrianlit wrote:
    The arrows.were.done freehand on a phone app its the total length I need until the tube gets wider near the top support brace hope this clears things up
    So total length from the very bottom? Not where your lower mark is? Does that include any adjuster? What about the axle, some axle centre lines are right at the bottom, some forks drop below the axle centreline quite a bit?

Some lowers never bulge out like the ones in the photo, where do you want those measured to?

The top brace is called the arch by the way.

There must be hundreds if not thousands of different lowers out there, so you need to ID the forks your target market is likely to be using.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I need it to be a one size fits all so the diameter of the leg is the most important size I need as the length I can avg out so it fits low end folks to top downhill folks as its fitting for a new style of mudguard im designing which fits to the bike via the lower legs of the folks
  • cooldad
    I think you need to think a bit more. If you want an average just take a set of chunky forks, a set of skinny forks and average it - it won't make any difference, will it?

ps I think Mucky Nutz beat you to it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ahhh no its not like mucky nutz this is a full length mudguard
  • It's forks folks.
  • blame Android auto correct ! !!!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Full length mudguards are inherently shit on mountain bikes.

You absolutely will not manage a "one size fits all" for all forks, you just won't. Those measurements will vary massively.
  • All I want is the diameters of the lower leg tubes.does it matter if its impossible I will work it out I just need the sizes of as many suspension forks as I can so people please just measure your lower tubes for me and post them here to help me out
  • cooldad
    Or do some homework.
    cooldad wrote:

Lots of research to go.

ps measuring the diameter of a cylinder without a flat end is rather difficult.
    If your maths is up to it, it might be easier to ask for the circumference.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools