Another headset DIY SOS!

adder4
adder4 Posts: 21
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi
Any ideas why my headset still has some slack in it even after tightening the top cover?
Background, I bought some cheap bits and am attempting to build this myself :?
So maybe a quick sanity check to make sure I am using the correct parts :oops:
frame is carbon, so is fork, tapered.....few pics....I'd say there is still about 0.5mm slack when tightened, any ideas? I have followed guides which say tighten top bolt before handlebar stem....thanks!
Hold on having to resize pics, lol

Comments

• adder4
    this one shows what the 'bit that goes in the top' looks like, albeit upside down :D
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'd add at least 3 more 10mm spacers to that stack.
  • adder4
    Bozman wrote:
    I'm thinking the spacers are ok - check the first pic (had to add a 2mm one as fork cut was a not quite short enough, oops)
  • It looks to be the same as the caad 10 I have.

I think the secret is don't be scared of it and hoarse it up.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • adder4
    It looks to be the same as the caad 10 I have.

I think the secret is don't be scared of it and hoarse it up.
    yes could be one of those 1-1/8" TO 1-1/4" tapered carbon steerer......
    have you got of those 'spring inflate' top nuts as well?
    bit scared of overtightening with it being plastic/carbon :?
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    adder4 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:
    I'm thinking the spacers are ok - check the first pic (had to add a 2mm one as fork cut was a not quite short enough, oops)

I think he was joking.

I'm only guessing, but I think what he actually meant was "I'd cut down that fork so that you can take some of that ridiculous sized stack out".

But then again, it's your bike, just make it comfortable for you.

And to actually try to be helpful, have you checked that none of the moving parts are binding the headtube when it's tightened up (e.g. the crown of the fork or the top cover of the headset). If this is happening, it could feel like you've tightened it up correctly but you're not actually pre-loading the bearings and thus there will still be some play, if that makes sense?
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Make sure you've properly tightened the expander bung, otherwise the topcap bolt will just be pulling it up the steerer tube. It looks like an alloy steerer, so don't be frightened to tighten it up; I use 8nm for expanders in carbon steerers and haven't broken anything yet...
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    In the first picture it looks like you have a gap between the top spacer and the top cap - so when you tighten down you're not actually doing anything - just tightening the cap against the steerer.

The point of the whole thing is to push the stem/spacers down to compress the bearings - so the top thing (either stem or spacer - and should usually be a spacer on a carbon stem) should be about 2mm clear of the top of the steerer so that the cap can push the stem down.

I can see silver so it looks like you're just tightening the cap against the expander thingy - and that won't preload the bearings.

(and obviously the stem bolts have to be slack to allow the downward movement and then tightened once adjusted properly).
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Looks like your steerer is longer than your spacers + stem, the steerer needs to sit 2mm or so BELOW your stem or spacer on top of the stem. If it's not add a bigger spacer on top. Also I think it's not recommended to have more than 4 x 10mm spacers underneath for safety reasons, although many would never have that many as it looks a bit g&y.
  • adder4
    Hi guys
    Thanks for the feedback!
    The steerer tube is plastic...
    I'm beginning to think that maybe it's a bit too long....not bothered about the g&y look (the bike already has yellow bits on the frame lol) just don't want a really aggressive riding position as I'm getting on a bit now ;-)
    Maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew here and should just take it to the LBS.....any idea what they'd charge?
    Thanks again!
  • adder4
    simonj wrote:
    Looks like your steerer is longer than your spacers + stem, the steerer needs to sit 2mm or so BELOW your stem or spacer on top of the stem. If it's not add a bigger spacer on top. Also I think it's not recommended to have more than 4 x 10mm spacers underneath for safety reasons, although many would never have that many as it looks a bit g&y.
    yes I had 4x10mm below plus the 1x10mm on the top but that skinny one in the middle is 2mm extra......should have cut the steerer more to begin with, doh, might try and get some wet n dry on it! :oops: