Electric Bikes

arran77
arran77 Posts: 9,260
edited May 2014 in The cake stop
Just had a ride on a Haibike xDuro NDURO RX 26 Gen 2 2014, 25mph on the flat with minimal effort, reckon I'll trade the De Rosa in for one of these :wink:

vsnqyg.jpg
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,476
    Elecric bikes are the spawn of Satan, the only possible justification is seeing the look on roadies faces when you cruise past them on a full sus bike with nobbly tyres without breaking a sweat :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • arran77
    I knew I'd come up against some opposition from the Luddites round here :P

The idea of beating roadies on one would be very appealing :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I had to fix one for a neighbour the other day. Rear wheel bearing and brakes needed adjusting. His Mrs uses it to go to work and she loves it, but he was saying it's so heavy it destroys components at a rate.
  • arran77
    This thing weighed a tonne as well but seeing as its a free ride bike the components are pretty beefy :wink:

It really did shift along especially with the dongle that over-rides the speed limiter thing :lol:

seanoconn
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    How fast would it go if you stuck the gubbins on the De Rosa? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • arran77
    Now there's an idea :lol:

seanoconn
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    That looks pretty decent for an electric bike!
    tick - tick - tick
  • arran77
    metronome wrote:
    That looks pretty decent for an electric bike!

It is :)

Piña would love it because you don't need an uplift when your downhilling, you just put the motor on and 'ride' back to the top :wink:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    If Stevo bought one of those he'd save money in the long term as he'd no longer have to pay Piña to drive him to the top of the hill in his gimp van.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    My local motor spares place started selling electric bikes a few years back, and he let me have a ride around the nearby carpark on one of them.

This was before I'd started riding bikes again, and I found it quite disconcerting. The last experience I'd had of two wheels before that was a motorbike, and so the centre of gravity felt all out of place.

Impressive though, and I can see why e-bikes appeal to someone looking for an easy route into commuting, but can't figure out who would buy the one pictured in the OP.

The older I get, the better I was.

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    arran77 wrote:
    This thing weighed a tonne as well but seeing as its a free ride bike the components are pretty beefy :wink:

It really did shift along especially with the dongle that over-rides the speed limiter thing :lol:

Remapped by VTech?
  • arran77
    Capt Slog wrote:
    can't figure out who would buy the one pictured in the OP.

Have you ever tried to ride or push a downhill bike back up to the top of the run when there is no uplift :wink:

This means you can get more runs in a day with less effort :mrgreen:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Remapped by VTech?

I'm sure he could!!

seanoconn
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    If it will do 25 mph then it's classified as an electric motorbike not a bicycle. You therfore need all of the stuff you would for any other motorbike.
    https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Last year went up the Sibbe following the Amstel Gold 365 way markings. Bust a gut catching up with a middle aged lady on a sit up and beg, only to see her pull off uphill into a driveway without peddling. Electric bikes are definitely a hazard to the well being of mamils chasing down other people on bikes.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    They are very useful for some people with physical restrictions.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Seeing more of these than ever at the moment in London!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I've had that feeling of humiliation on the commute when I'm struggling to catch the guy in front on an MTB wearing street clothes. It feels much better as you finally pass and see the big hub and realisation dawns, it's probably helped me get a few Strava PRs!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    As if by magic, in today's paper...
  • arran77
    CiB wrote:
    As if by magic, in today's paper...

See, resistance is futile :wink:

seanoconn
  • combatsapph
    combatsapph Posts: 23
    My DIY ebike. I love it.

IMAG06791_zps668cd187.jpg~original

After a great muddy ride @ Gisburn:-

IMAG06991_zps44cfe93f.jpg~original

It was fun down Hully Gully! The box in the frame for the battery in the above pic is just temporary whilst I was testing it, I'm making a better one out of carbon fibre.

My old commuter, since returned to stock and electric kit sold off (I'm now retired so no need to comuute anymore):-

CameraZOOM-20120114143224218.jpg~original
  • arran77

seanoconn
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    arran77 wrote:

How long before a fully automatic Di2 version? :shock:
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Another recent article - an e-bike theft story with a satisfying conclusion:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ge-it.html

which doubles as an advert for the rather slick looking Go Cycle G2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuHetV-7IZc

article-0-1D4FCCB400000578-108_634x441.jpg