Broken Spokes on Havocs

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all

Last Monday was at Delga practising jumping at the skills section. Good session, managed to nail the technique after a couple of hours.

Didn't notice anything wrong at the time, but on Sat, when i was about to change out my tyres for a ride tomorrow night, i noticed that the rear wheel was buckled. Upon closer inspection the wheel has lost two spokes as well as having a slight buckle in it.

No other damage to the wheels/tyres.

I've only had the wheels since Jan and they have only really been used for 2 months as the bike was out of action for most of March whilst i was rebuilding it.

They are Easton Havoc wheels, so they should be able to take a beating.

Lets be clear, i did case a couple of the doubles, but nothing major and nothing compared to the beating they took at Antur a couple of weeks ago

Reckon this is a build issue ? should i be chasing CRC for a warranty claim ? (I've already emailed them to see what they think)

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. These wheels retail at £700 (i didn't pay that), so i would expect better performance. The wheels they replaced were Superstar AM490s, which id had for 3 years. Never lost a spoke, true as the day i bought them, and they only cost £180.

:(

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The buckle will be caused by the broken spokes.

Replace the spokes and go ride - jumping is risky and tough on components.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lost or broken spokes?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DCR00
    They aren't in the wheel any more, so they are lost in that respect

Given that they aren't in the wheel any more, I've presumed that they are broken also
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe someone pinched them - there was a spate of dustcap thefts here a while back, according to one sadly missed poster.
    Wonder what happened to Fullymong?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gone, even the nipple? (How, where?) If it's there, does the nipple not have any spoke left in it at all? If so stolen is pretty much the only answer!

Or has the head snapped off the nipple so it's still in the rim? (even then spokes rarely fall out).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DCR00
    the nipples are still in the rim

haven't checked if they have any spoke left in them
  • DCR00
    they have spoke left in them, so theft unlikely :wink:
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    If they use normal type spokes, drop it into your local shop to stick a couple more in, but ask them to detension then re tension it totally. If more snap soon after, then you've a problem. Either a bent rim from your casing the jumps, or a build issue.
  • DCR00
    spokes ordered
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    i did case a couple of the doubles

That is why. Yes many wheels are designed to have a beating, but keep smashing them and they will die.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    DCR00 wrote:
    They aren't in the wheel any more, so they are lost in that respect

Given that they aren't in the wheel any more, I've presumed that they are broken also

You should always padlock spokes or they will go.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: