Old XT Chainset with rounded out bolt

Nick Cod
Nick Cod Posts: 321
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon All

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to remove an old XT (non drive side) crank arm. The arm is held on by an old, very rounded out, self extracting hex key bolt. Last night while out riding with a mate, the granny ring died. Pretty much broke in two so I had to continue on with only the middle and top ring. It’s had thirteen years use so I can’t really complain too much

However rather than order just a new granny ring I thought I’d upgrade it as I still love riding the bike and the current XT chainset was creaking quite a lot under pressure. I have ordered a new SLX chaninset with external bottom bracket but have the above issue to resolve before I can fit the new kit

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks in advance NC
2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
2013 Cayo Evo 3
2013 Zesty 414
2002 Avalanche 0.0
2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You'll need to get the frame faced at a bike shop, so let them have a go at the lot?
  • Nick Cod
    Nick Cod Posts: 321
    What's facing got to do with it?? I need to remove the crank arm the frame and bottom bracket are fine as far as I'm aware
    2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
    2013 Cayo Evo 3
    2013 Zesty 414
    2002 Avalanche 0.0
    2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited April 2014
    What type of BB?

Use an easy out on the bolt or you can try getting a torx bit (not bent wire but one to fit on a ratchet) that is just oversize and hammering it in. Chunkers was suggesting your LBS can do that for you before then facing the frame as they will be more likely to have the kit (save you buying it which may cost more), seemed obvious if you'd actually bothered to think about it before mouthing off.

The BB may be fine but has to come out to fit the SLX crankset which uses a different one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Needs facing to fit the external BB.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools