Burly mud tyre

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone recommend a good tyre for harder riding in muddy conditions?
Downhill mud tyres are too heavy and xc mud tyres are too narrow and not tough enough.

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Trailstar 2.35
    Huge tyre, nearer 2.5
    I found them very good in mud

Specialized Butcher is also supposed to be good in the mud
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    No point recommending hans Dampfs to monkey, he hates them! :lol:

Magic Mary's are meant to be pretty good for all conditions, likewise Conti barons. Maxxis do the beaver in 2.25 which is meant to be pretty good for trail bikes, not sure if the new shorty is available in 2.3 yet, saw it mentioned somewhere at sea otter
  • rockmonkeysc
    Magic Marys could be good. Im liking the muddy mary dh tyres. I didn't like hans dampfs.
    I hadn't thought of barons, I will have a look.
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    HD & Butcher are crap in the mud. Well, HD's are crap in general, Butcher is a great, fast rolling, lower profile version of a Minion DHF.

Magic Mary or Maxxis Shortly.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I hadn't thought of barons, I will have a look.

The Baron is great, but no lightweight. When the Cafall trail first opened and there was a lot of very sticky mud, the Baron was the only tyre I saw that was actually clearing, everyone else was just picking up layer upon layer of mud until it was shaped by the forks and frame (and in some case actually stopped wheels from turning).

It's also very tough, and can be run at extremely low pressures (sub 20psi) with tubes without pinching.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Dirty Dan? The 2" Pace Star ones are a decent XC tyre, I imagine the wider ones would be good.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    bontranger mud-x, specialized storm control, conti mud kings.

problem is that if you ride out of mud they tend to be pretty crap which for my local trails is a problem :lol:

I picked up a bonty XR4 mucho cheapo to try with the current conditions on my local trails. If it was all muddy and mush I'd probably go with the mud-x's
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    POAH wrote:

problem is that if you ride out of mud they tend to be pretty crap which for my local trails is a problem :lol:

I picked up a bonty XR4 mucho cheapo to try with the current conditions on my local trails. If it was all muddy and mush I'd probably go with the mud-x's

The problem with those isn't that they're not great out of the mud (an argument I'd have quite happily about MudX which are a great allrounder) but that they're not burly enough for the sort of riding that RMSC does. Hence the thread title.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I'm using Mud Kings (protection version). Do a great job of cutting into the mud, but aren't any good if the trail is also rocky/rooty 26x1.8
    Mates are getting on well with the wider version of the Beaver (26x2.25 and 29x2.25). Sidewalls aren't as tough as the Mud Kings though.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:

The problem with those isn't that they're not great out of the mud (an argument I'd have quite happily about MudX which are a great allrounder) but that they're not burly enough for the sort of riding that RMSC does. Hence the thread title.

mud tyres to be efficient need to be thin. if you want a beefy tyre its not going to be as effective. somthing like a magic mary is going to be pretty heavy unless you get the basic SnakeSkin version, a dirty dan is even heavier still. A mud king 2.3 is a hefty brute .

one option would be a Onza Greina 2.4 which weighs in at 700g for a 2.4 with the FRC120 casing (A1110289), the 60tpi casing is 760 and can be found on amazon. no doubt they will be pants on anything but mud
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'm not too worried about a bit of drag from bigger volume. A normal xc mud tyre is too skinny and will just pinch unless I run a very high pressure.
    I realised I needed something after a very muddy enduro race yesterday. Once my tyres clogged (two yards off the start line) it was like riding on slicks, I actually had to jump off and run with the bike up a couple short climbs and off camber sections were very tricky.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Christ, the Dans really are heavy, not realised there was that much difference. How odd they don't do a 2.35" in the lighter carcass or something.

Wider mud tyres have a purpose, it depends on what you're wanting it to do. Actually IMO if it's sticky mud (which is where narrow is a real advantage) then even something like a Mud X is too wide, whilst still being an XC focused tyre. I'd call a Mud X (or a Dan) a "winter" tyre, rather than mud specifically. Something like a 1.5" Black Shark is a true mud tyre.

Doesn't really get around the fact that a relatively light weight wider mud tyre is hard to come by!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    what about a bontrager se4 team issue tyre or a g mud team issue tyre for those conditions ?
  • rockmonkeysc
    G muds are brilliant, I have a set for downhill but they are really heavy.
    I think I might try either the magic mary or baron.