what do you love about your bike??

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited May 2014 in MTB general
as the title says ....
what bike do you ride? what do you love about it? and what would you change about it?

Personally I ride a large Blur LT and love literally pretty much everything about it but if I could change 1 thing...... I would slacken the head angle by 1/1.5 degrees (I realise I can do that)
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Degree steeper seat angle on the Zaskar. XTR shifters. That's it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I love the fact I built it myself and have a far better bike than I could afford to buy new.

What would I change.....lighter frame, lighter wheels (and lighter many other bits!) maybe go 1x10 at some point from 1x9.

SS can't you move the saddle forward by the circa 10mm needed for the same seat post angle effect?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    The Rookie wrote:
    I love the fact I built it myself and have a far better bike than I could afford to buy new.

What would I change.....lighter frame, lighter wheels (and lighter many other bits!) maybe go 1x10 at some point..

This

It does feel good riding a bike that I've built, especially when tearing up local trails

It's not the lightest machine so SRAM 1x11 would be a big upgrade, carbon bars, carbon wheels
    Maybe even change the frame to a Carbon Covert 27.5 in the years to come.. When they actually make one
  • rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    Haven't built mine yet but paid for everything. Expecting to receive parts next week. Even without riding it, I know the fact that it has almost exactly what I want spec wise, and cost very little (I meant, damn cheap) will be the best thing about it.
  • It's light and fast, a real mile muncher.
    (It's a bit skittish though. Has thrown a few friends who have borrowed it.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The Mojo has a great suspension platform, pedals really well and sucks up pretty much anything, spec pretty much is how I want it. Wish the top tube was a bit longer and the bearings lasted a little longer but it's still an awesome bike! :)
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Big wide bars, short stem, fantastically plush air forks amongst plenty of other shiny bits), its a hoot to ride, light enough to be ridden all day and it keeps me out of trouble when I tiptoe over my skill barrier!!
  • Whyte t-129s '14

Wide bars, RS reverb, super comfortable, dmr vaults, brakes..........I could go on all day.....I f'ing love it

Tyres (wtb nano on the rear is near useless for where I ride)
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Vitus Rapide 29 hardtail. I seem to be using all the fork travel and running less sag ruins the front end grip so a 120mm fork would be nice but not essential.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    I'd have two extremes rather than one that dies everything well. I'm going to get rid of my Bronson and get a 5010 and a new Nomad.
  • Love custom built with top components, makes bike unique and tailored to me. One of my favourite things is silent riding on rough terrain (no creaks etc), bliss
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not that sure what I'd change. I'd quite like some green hubs, Carbon Ti SLs look good.

Not much else though!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    On the Bandit I wouldn't change anything, it's the perfect combination of shorter travel speed and trail/downhill ability.

On the Inbred 29er I'd have lighter wheels and I'd slightly change the gearing (which is the 1x9 ripped straight from the 26 so it's too long), other than that it does exactly what I want it to and how I want it to do it.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    I love that I built it myself! Didn't exactly love saving up and living as cheaply as possible for 7 months, but the end result was totally worth it :D

If I could change anything? Probably the fork, running on a float 32 150mm, otherwise known as the master of flex. Uprate it to either a 2015 34 or a Pike, that may come this summer if I get a summer job once more
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Because it looks awesome, its completely custom and made in the UK....
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Love about it/them?

Hmmm love is too strong a word but between us we have a good idea of what works and what doesn't and we try our best to keep it that way. Mr Unreliable is not welcome neither is Mr.Bling and in terms of changing stuff low maintenance/high reliability is top priority
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Nothing.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    On the Bandit I wouldn't change anything, it's the perfect combination of shorter travel speed and trail/downhill ability/

+1, I absolutely love my Bandit for exact same reasons. I test rode a few different bikes and for me the Bandit was by far the best. Just a really fun bike to ride.

I bought a frame a built it up my self with lightish but strong components, I think the whole drivetrain and brakes are XT. I'm very happy with the way it rides. Of course I'd like it to be lighter but I'd have to spend some serious money if I didn't want to sacrifice the strength.
  • Always wanted an orange when I was a teen Had my heart set on one being my first proper mtb bike. Plus I'm in love with the neon green.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Charge duster 1x10!
    Self built and love it because I learned from my mistakes!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Boardman ht pro carbon 2012 . Updated with 70 mm ritchey stem, haven carbon bar. X0 gripshift , stans crest on hope pro 2 wheels , fsa carbon cranks 2x10. Xt 11to 36 cassette .
    Love it for lightness , acceleration and handling,
    Getting out on it has really helped me combat depression.Have been pretty solitary but intend visiting Swinley this year and getting to know fellow mtb enthusists. I am getting old and probably don't do the bike justice.

Lastly I have never seen another Boardman carbon mtb, an unsung bargain.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Swinley's the place to go for that, even in the pissing rain on Sunday it was rammed! Good fun though, I enjoyed it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The thing I love about two of my bikes is they aren't road bikes. I hate my third bike.
  • Herdwick29.
    Herdwick29. Posts: 58
    I'll tell you what I don't like... the way it crashes!!!
    It gets me every time... bad!!! :mrgreen:
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    It's titanium, hand built by me, all the components are of my choosing, custom decals... There isn't another like it. Handles well, good on long runs and short fast blasts.
  • paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    It's mine, it's unique to me and it gives me the opportunity to scare myself shitless without it killing me :) it also provides me with a certain kind of freedom, exploration and well being - it's good for the soul man!

Oh, and carbon is sexy, and the forks are the dog dooh-dah's.

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I like the colour of mine :oops:
  • I like how the bike has slowly evolved as my riding has. I've gradually upgraded the components that I felt were holding me back and improved both performance and handling. Nothing bling on it,everything is workhorse level but the ride is completely dialed for me.Given extra funding I'd replace a couple more things due to high mileage, but still fine as it is.