Suntour XCM 120mm adjustment

danvannoorden
danvannoorden Posts: 36
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello guys, finaly got my carrera vulcan after much hassle and stress but its done now.

My question is do I just keep turning the preload knob in the plus direction to adjust for sag? The forks seem to sag alot when im sat on the bike so without lock out every time the front end lifts it clunks back up.

I know XCM are cheap forks but I wana make do with what I have for now.

Is there a limit to how much to turn it? And do I do this on or off the bike.

Thanks,

DVN
DVN

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pretty much, but I doubt it will do much anyway, and they are clunky forks. Overall not a lot you can do.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Keep turning the preload until it gets stiff, don't then force it as it's not unknown for them to jam up and you have to strip them to free it off.

Get a friend to measure the sag for you properly!

Which version XCM, some are damped and 'OK' the undamped ones are cluncky, most damped ones incorporate a lockout in the damper so you probably have non damped which will always rebound with a clunk as their is nothing to slow them until they hit the rebound stop.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.