2009 Carrera Vulcan

ashyk36
ashyk36 Posts: 9
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. I have a 2009 Carrera Vulcan which I have just bought. I need help with the headset please.

The previous owner has given me the headset in pieces but I am no bike expert and therefore I do not know if there are bits missing.

I therefore now have 2 options:
1. Find out if I am missing any parts. I have tried to put it together but there is wobble. Again I am no expert with headsets so I'm a little confused.

2. Buy a new headset. The problem here is I do not know which headset to buy.

If anyone could shed any light on this I would be greatful.

I could if it helps take a picture of the pieces of the headset I have been given?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pictures would help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • TJ20862
    TJ20862 Posts: 78
    You will need an internal headset but Carreras have strange headsets so not all will fit? you can go to hafords and they can order them in for you?
  • cooldad
    Strange? headset?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ashyk36
    Ok thanks. I will post a picture this weekend
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    TJ20862 wrote:
    You will need an internal headset but Carreras have strange headsets so not all will fit? you can go to hafords and they can order them in for you?
    Rowlocks, it's a standard semi integrated (otherwise known as zero stack) as used on hundreds of thousands of bikes......in fact the one on my Carrera is a mix and match of bits taken from a Scott and a Marin to get it as light as possible.

Of course not all headsets will fit, there are a number of different standards, but that is the same for any bike, only the right standard will fit!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ashyk36
    Hi - I have taken a picture of the components I have. The plastic bit ( 1 to the far right) kind of like a wedge shape. Im assuming that will go in first to stop the wobble?

IMAG2807_zps8ba1de25.jpg
  • The Rookie
    I can't see the photo's here, but look on parktools and it's all explained, the plastic wedge goes onto the forks after passing the steerer through the headset and centres the top bearing (in the same as the metal crownrace centres the lower bearing), you then fit the top cap.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Seems to be a bearing short.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ashyk36
    hmmmm. Am I better off going to Halfords ( or somewhere else) and picking up a new headset?

Something like this maybe?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_210157
  • cooldad
    No that is tapered and not ZS.
    Have you looked at the bottom of your head tube to see if the other bearing is there?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ashyk36
    I have took 2 pictures.

1. The top of the head tube
    IMAG28111_zpsab564d87.jpg

2. Underside of the head tube
    IMAG2812_zpsa2eed55f.jpg

Do these help? It looks to me as if there are parts of the headset on here. Can anyone confirm?
  • The Rookie
    Yes, that's the lower bearing (looks just like the upper you have in the first pic.

Dare I suggest that is you can't 'see' this perhaps you are not the right person to be fitting a safety critical part?
  • ashyk36
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yes, that's the lower bearing (looks just like the upper you have in the first pic.

Dare I suggest that is you can't 'see' this perhaps you are not the right person to be fitting a safety critical part?

If this is beyond my capabilities I can give it to the bike shop - If this is the case, I guess the only question is do I have all the parts to the headset?