Wheel Question - Worth Reusing?

BoredHousewife
BoredHousewife Posts: 416
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I'm currently own a 2011/2012 Voodoo Bantu but have a set of the standard wheels from a 2002 Kona Stuff in the loft. The Kona wheels are M525 hubs on Sun Rhino Lites but need truing and a new spoke on the rear wheel (which unfortunately is a job I' ve never been able to do :()

So....are these 'old' wheels worth spending money on to replace the stock Voodoo (Formula?) wheelset?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do the old wheels have disc hubs?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • yeah, 6 bolt Deore disc hubs. It's just with them and the rims being fairly old i wasn't sure whether it was worth spending money on them or saving for a new set
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Why do you need to replace the Voodoo's stock wheels, and what makes you think your old M525 wheels are any better ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Bantu is an XC style bike, are the older wheels any lighter? The Formulas are not that heavy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BG2000 wrote:
    Why do you need to replace the Voodoo's stock wheels, and what makes you think your old M525 wheels are any better ?

Rear hub on the voodoo is starting to sound 'unwell', as for why I think the older wheels are better? It's not a case that I think they are, hence the question, it was more to establish whether it was worth re-using them at cost of repair or if I'd be better saving for a new rear wheel.

It's a speculative question I guess
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's the bearings, try and strip, clean and regrease, the Formulas are far from bad, I just rescued a 'gritty' front back to 'as smooth as' in 20 minutes.

That said If the older wheels are good and lighter, then bang them on, but if they've been standing a while the bearings will need fresh grease anyway as it can dry out.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.