Shimano M431 Alivio Crank Removal

sundaytrucker
sundaytrucker Posts: 51
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I am new to this world of cycling and would like to learn how to maintain and repair my Voodoo Bizango rather than spending a small fortune on visits to Halfords and the LBS both of which I have been unhappy with the level of service on separate occasions.

I have noticed that I am getting a creak from around the bottom bracket when pedalling and it seems more noticeable when going up hill. Having had a look at the spec sheet for the Voodoo I have an octalink bottom brace and Shimano M431 Alivio Crank Set. Now I have tried removing the bolt from the crank arm with an 8mm hex key but it is bloody stiff, I tried to loosen anti clockwise, is this correct? maybe I need more leverage so I plan to pick up some scrap steel tube/bar from work tomorrow.

I just wanted to know whether there was any special tool required to remove the hex bolts as they have a small hole in the head? As shown in the two pictures below. I have read the Park Tool Removal Manual and didn't see any 'special' tool required to remove the crank bolts.
14038125705_922ce9c997_z.jpgimage by sunday-trucker, on Flickr

Any of the Bizango owners got the cranks and BB out and done a home service? anything I should be aware of?

Thanks for any assistance provided

Comments

• BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    No special tool required, just a long lever and, yes, anti-clockwise

Once you got hat bolt out you will need a crank extractor to get the crank off
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No special tool to remove the bolt but you do need a crank tool to remove the crank, and a BB tool to remove the BB. But the BB is not serviceable, and it's unlikely to be creaking already, so most likely it's something else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks Guys. Nothing beats a bit of brute force!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Are you sure it isn't the pedals, or the saddle, or seat clamp?

When I've had issues I thought were BB it has been the above.
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    I've done it with mine with a bit of lock'n'loose spray and a big old lever. Had to borrow a crank tool though.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    Are you sure it isn't the pedals, or the saddle, or seat clamp?

When I've had issues I thought were BB it has been the above.

pretty certain it isn't any of the above, they are easy enough to check so will give them all a once over to be sure, Although I have recently swapped seat post and it was making the noise before hand. I have read of noise that sounds like it comes from the BB coming from somewhere completely different, god knows.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I had the same issues - see viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12966498 - which I made worse by trying to unbolt in the opposite direction.

I used a 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch wrench reducer with a socket 8mm allen key and LOTS of brute force (well, lots for me anyway!) and the bolts came out in the end. Crank removal was actually simpler, but it did help that I had the right tool in the first place. BB removal comes tomorrow when the parktool tool arrives!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • santahul
    santahul Posts: 91
    Agree with above comments. It's often not bottom bracket and the other bits are much easier to check. Grease the pedal threads first, they're the usual culprits but always sound like the bottom bracket creaking.

P.S. If you plan to work on you're own bike I strongly suggested buying a proper tool kit. It's a bit on an outlay but it's soooo much cheaper in the long run.
  • larkim wrote:
    I had the same issues - see viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12966498 - which I made worse by trying to unbolt in the opposite direction.

I used a 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch wrench reducer with a socket 8mm allen key and LOTS of brute force (well, lots for me anyway!) and the bolts came out in the end. Crank removal was actually simpler, but it did help that I had the right tool in the first place. BB removal comes tomorrow when the parktool tool arrives!

Thanks. Yeah I am a scrawny weakling so everything feels bleeding' tight, need to man up and get some leverage on it.
    SantaHul wrote:
    Agree with above comments. It's often not bottom bracket and the other bits are much easier to check. Grease the pedal threads first, they're the usual culprits but always sound like the bottom bracket creaking.

P.S. If you plan to work on you're own bike I strongly suggested buying a proper tool kit. It's a bit on an outlay but it's soooo much cheaper in the long run.

I have a few things already but plan on buying proper tools as required, what male doesn't enjoy buying new tools?!