Cube Agree GTC SL vs Trek Madone 4.7

MJS996
MJS996 Posts: 20
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Planning to get a new bike this year, and had been looking at the 2014 Cube Agree GTC SL - £1899, Ultegra etc.

But I'm now looking at the Trek Madone 4.7 - £2200, Ultegra etc.

Spec-wise the bikes are very similar, but the Trek comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame, and probably a better build quality?

Looks-wise, I prefer the Cube - it just looks... flasher - although I'm not a fan of the matt finish.

So I've struggled to really separate them so far (although the Trek warranty is playing heavily on my mind here).

Question is - does anyone have any experience of riding position on either? We have a couple of Cube's in our club, I get the feeling that the Trek will probably offer a more relaxed riding position, whereas the Cube is more aggressive??

Any advice - or suggestions of something else with a similar spec/price would be welcome...

Thanks

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    You'll probably find that people who ride a Trek say go for the Trek, Cube riders will say go for the Cube.
    I have a Madone 4.7, made a few small changes that to me improve the appearance (saddle and bar tape). Pics on the Show Us Yours Forum, not great pics but can upload some more if you like.
    As you would expect I am a huge fan of my the Madone. The stock wheels aren't too bad, they were used as my winter wheels. The ride is smooth and pretty much noiseless, no creaking, clicking or groaning. When I have the Ultegra 11-23 cassette it is as smooth as a knife through butter. The handling is precise, brakes are good, no issues with them even in the wet winter/spring that we have had. I'm not going to say its great up hills as that really depends on the engine, the hills still hurt.
    Just weighed my Madone, not very scientific so apologies for that. Basically me on the bathroom scales carrying my bike minus my weight. With my hand built wheels and Look Pedals the bike weighs in at 8.2kgs. I don't know how accurate that is but thought I'd throw it out there.
    Looks are all subjective, I personally really like the look of the 4.7. I think the black bar tape improves it. I think it looks an awful lot better in the flesh.
    Let me know if you want any more details.
  • MJS996
    MJS996 Posts: 20
    You'll probably find that people who ride a Trek say go for the Trek, Cube riders will say go for the Cube.
    I have a Madone 4.7, made a few small changes that to me improve the appearance (saddle and bar tape). Pics on the Show Us Yours Forum, not great pics but can upload some more if you like.
    As you would expect I am a huge fan of my the Madone. The stock wheels aren't too bad, they were used as my winter wheels. The ride is smooth and pretty much noiseless, no creaking, clicking or groaning. When I have the Ultegra 11-23 cassette it is as smooth as a knife through butter. The handling is precise, brakes are good, no issues with them even in the wet winter/spring that we have had. I'm not going to say its great up hills as that really depends on the engine, the hills still hurt.
    Just weighed my Madone, not very scientific so apologies for that. Basically me on the bathroom scales carrying my bike minus my weight. With my hand built wheels and Look Pedals the bike weighs in at 8.2kgs. I don't know how accurate that is but thought I'd throw it out there.
    Looks are all subjective, I personally really like the look of the 4.7. I think the black bar tape improves it. I think it looks an awful lot better in the flesh.
    Let me know if you want any more details.

Thanks - pretty much what I wanted to hear - and expected to be fair - didn't expect to hear anyone have anything bad to say about the Trek!

I've got a set of American Classic wheels on my Giant Defy which I would probably move over onto whichever bike (assuming they are better than the stock wheels), so wheels shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Any other opinions on the Cube? Any other bikes I am missing here at a similar price-point with similar spec - ie Ultegra throughout? (Not saying it has to be Ultegra, but trying to compare like with like)

Thanks
  • Know a few Cube Agree Gtc SL owners, all rave about their bikes. Cubes also get great reviews in the press. For the spec you cant go wrong.

Wouldnt say Trek are better build quality at all, most bikes are built in Asia these days anyway.

As previous post said, Trek owners will say Trek, Cube owners will say Cube. You will probably find where there is any post asking about Cube that most owners wont reply, because they know how good the bikes are and they dont want to waste their time trying to convince someone whos obviously going to go for a more household named bike anyway. But generally, Cube bikes are superb and hard to beat for the spec. You wouldnt notice much difference between the two bikes except saving yourself £500.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    As the others have said, Trek riders are going to big the Trek just like those with Cubes.

I've a GTC Race with upgraded wheels carbon finishing and full 6700, 7.8kg, it was great to begin, even better now. I really enjoy riding it, it's not this stiffest but it's very comfortable across the crap road surfaces around here. I haven't any experience of the Trek but doubt you'll go to far wrong whichever you choose.