Upgrading to hydraulic brakes

santahul
santahul Posts: 91
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys.

I'm upgrading my Dave Hinde M2 to hydraulic discs but just wondering about securing the hose along the top tube and seat stay. I'm aware of adapters that allow a hydraulic hose to run parallel to the cable stop but these don't seem like a very neat solution so I was wondering if anybody here had any better ideas. It seems strange that a bike that was sold with disc brake mounts can't accommodate hydraulic hoses better.

The cable stops are removable so I'm thinking about just taking them off and drilling them all the way through but then I'd obviously have to feed the hose through which may complicate things and I'm not sure if the diameter is the same either.

I've seen these removable cable stops on other bikes. Does anybody know where you can get them from and whether there are different versions available.?

WP_000511_zpsbb2eb4b2.jpg

Note: The bike isn't as dirty as it looks in this picture. Those messy white bits are actually remnants of polish :arrow:

Comments

• bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    I would temporarily remove the cablestops and drill them with a 6mm or 7mm drill bit to accommodate the hydraulic hose.

But, before doing that, decide how you want to route the hose and the gear cables.

To secure the hose in place, follow this thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12621224

Be sure to make a neat job of it - plenty of people on this forum spend the money but don't follow through with simple details like that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Does that have disc mounts?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • santahul
    Yep disc mounts front and rear. Bike even has disc hubs for some reason, even though it came with V brakes.

Thanks for the tips btw bikaholic, will definitely use some of the advice in that post too.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The neatest way is to drill out the cable mounts but you have to disassemble the brake. These do the job and arent too obtrusive http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b210s390p29225/M%3APart_Self-Adhesive_Cable_Guides/RS_GB?gclid=CPytqZjmgb4CFSOWtAodXWMAhw
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • santahul
    Thanks Stubs I was looking at these actually.

Think what I'll do is drill out the stops as suggested then use a plastic ferrule to make it tighter. I'll make sure to stick a better picture up to show how it goes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You either drill them and pass the hose through, or drill them oversize and widen the slot so a 5mm hose can be pushed in and located with a plastic sleeve, no point using a sleeve unless you've widened the slot.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.