RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
Anyone doing this?
What can I expect?
:D

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    I am.
    I hope they will swap the usual energy bars for real food.
    No idea what to expect, but it seems a rather friendly organisation and hopefully not too many wannabe a Sky rider... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • graememacd
    graememacd Posts: 386
    I'm also doing this one as it's local to me. The cobbled sections are pretty much off road in most places and the section up Walton Hill is difficult on a mountain bike! It looks different though and should be a laugh. It goes near my house on the way back so I've got to resist the temptation to go home!
  • fuel2000
    fuel2000 Posts: 65
    I am.
    I hope they will swap the usual energy bars for real food.
    No idea what to expect, but it seems a rather friendly organisation and hopefully not too many wannabe a Sky rider... :wink:

According to their Facebook page the food will be French themed in honour of The Paris Roubaix.
  • longworf
    longworf Posts: 1
    Full details here: http://club.v-sprint.com/tour-of-the-bl ... -sportive/

Yes, French pastries, champagne, free lump of Black Country coal to every finisher.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Will people ride their best road bikes for this or would they look for stronger bikes? I'm considering it but am worried about my £1,500 wheels getting damaged on the cobbles.

Other options would be to ride my winter bike or even a mountain bike.
  • ugo.santalucia
    BrandonA wrote:
    Will people ride their best road bikes for this or would they look for stronger bikes? I'm considering it but am worried about my £1,500 wheels getting damaged on the cobbles.

Other options would be to ride my winter bike or even a mountain bike.

That would be a sound idea... I don't expect this to be a fashionable event for Sky Team clad gold standard seekers... more like a fun day out on a bicycle...
  • Slacey
    Slacey Posts: 78
    I'm riding and reviewing the event. Sounds like a perfect excuse for the CX bike!
    Freelance Journalist
    ex-Team Cycling Plus 2011
    Three Boardmans and a Spesh,
    numerous test rigs
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,001
    It looks like a fun event and a dead cert for a new set of wheels afterwards.

I'd ride that on my Heckler if the flat bits weren't in the way.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • lioneld
    lioneld Posts: 69
    Im riding this, it covers lots of our usual training routes but the off road sections are definitely best suited to using your second/winter/cx bike. The lanes are pretty good for the rest of the route. It's been very warm and sunny here today so I expect the off road sections to be reasonably firm. All the best to everyone riding, hopefully will be a good fun day on the bike as Ugo said.
    All Italian
  • ugo.santalucia
    Nice day... nice course, frantic pace for most of the morning... tried a breakaway a la Cancellara on the penultimate dirt sector, in vain, when I got caught at a red light... oh well... :roll:
  • lioneld
    lioneld Posts: 69
    No punctures, 7 mile detour due to Marshall ushering us straight on at first feed stop, really good to do something a little different, so big thanks to V Sprint for organising, will be cherishing my polished lump off coal for years to come
    All Italian
  • ugo.santalucia
    Didn't realise the guy who gave us the start was Hugh Porter. That explains... I heard him saying something in Dutch, so when he asked about my Italian jersey, I thought appropriate talkin' to him in Dutch and he looked confused... :wink: