rockshox reba forks flexing

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had some rockshox rebas on my bike for the past year which i got from this forum.

I've started to notice a slight flex and creak when i apply the front brake when the fork is locked out.

i was thinking get them serviced but there is no air leak or oil coming through the seals and the rebound etc works fine.

Can anyone advise on what i should do to fix this ?

i'm going to replace the rubbish oem headset with hope bearings soon as well.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Where is the creak and flex ?

Is it the fork, the headset, the wheel ?
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    When you say 'flex' do you mean movement? Could be the bushings in the fork but there is not enough info to give a conclusive answer. Your best bet is to eliminate each part one at a time.
    So give the headset a service first and see if the problem persists.
    If so try new pads or tightening your brake caliper as the movement could be at the brake/between the pads and the disc.
    If it continues then get your forks serviced.

Try those out and see how it goes!
  • swod1
    It's the fork that's moving slightly, hold the front brake on and I can feel it when holding the fork lower and rocking the bike while the fork is locked out as I did think it was the headset but isn't.

I've had a look on tf tuned at service prices and going to get it done once I have time.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    swod1 wrote:
    It's the fork that's moving slightly, hold the front brake on and I can feel it when holding the fork lower and rocking the bike while the fork is locked out as I did think it was the headset but isn't.

I've had a look on tf tuned at service prices and going to get it done once I have time.

At full extension you will always feel some bushing knock. You need to let the air out and feel it a little way into its travel.
  • swod1
    swod1 wrote:

At full extension you will always feel some bushing knock. You need to let the air out and feel it a little way into its travel.

and then if its the same the fork needs servicing ?