Tour of Pembrokeshire

I was in the area and I bumped across this sportive on saturday... as I was climbing a 20% wall off Fishguard in a head gale, the "sportives" were climbing the easier side of the moor trying to avoid being blown off their bikes... I was glad I only did a 15 miles loop... anyone did the 100 miler? :shock:
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Hat off to all of them, devilish weather I believe.
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    I bailed at the 50 miler split and did that instead. I've never ridden in conditions like that before. It was gale force Friday night and gusting 40mph with very heavy showers on the event. Passing gateways along the route was a bit dodgy, almost got blown off twice and I was also almost stopped dead by one headwind gust about 3 miles from the finish. Riders were still coming in at 6.45pm .ABSOLUTE IRONMEN. Anyone who finished deserves a clap, as quite a few bailed as DNS's before the event
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,241
    RallyBiker wrote:
    I bailed at the 50 miler split and did that instead. I've never ridden in conditions like that before. It was gale force Friday night and gusting 40mph with very heavy showers on the event. Passing gateways along the route was a bit dodgy, almost got blown off twice and I was also almost stopped dead by one headwind gust about 3 miles from the finish. Riders were still coming in at 6.45pm .ABSOLUTE IRONMEN. Anyone who finished deserves a clap, as quite a few bailed as DNS's before the event

You bailed just before a 1 in 4 climb... well judged... :wink:
  • petegraaf
    petegraaf Posts: 23
    I did the 108 mile route, and was certainly quite a challenge with the wind. At one point I was descending down a 10% slope pedalling off the top of the Preselis and only hitting 12mph.

Also learned pretty quickly to look out for gateways as the cross winds blew me across the roads a couple of times.

The organisation of the event was awesome though and fair play to the marshals on the hillsides who must have had a pretty bad time of it too yet remained smiling and cheering everyone on.
  • Valedoc44
    Valedoc44 Posts: 51
    The timing results are on the website Tour of Pembrokeshire and are well worth looking at to see the number of heroes and heroines who completed the 109 miler, as well as those on the 79 and 50 milers.

Notable, besides the small number of silver and bronze awards, is the minute number of DNFs in what, as stated above, was an horrendously windy and wet day.

I was proud to complete the 79 miler though, when you see your pal, 20m in front of you, being blown 1m sideways when passing a gap in the hedgerow descending from the top of the Preselis in the pouring rain, you don't half slow down a bit!

Well done the organisers, the volunteer marshals and all the cheerful helpers at the feeding stations for a great day out.
  • rbarcan
    rbarcan Posts: 206
    My friends and I did the 108 m route. Absolutely epic. I've been riding for a very long time (I see from the results I was just about the oldest old bloke there!) and thought I'd got the t-shirt ages ago, but that was my single hardest day on the bike.

It was so gusty at the start I never thought I'd cope, not having much ballast - a great help when climbing but not so wonderful on exposed descents with horrendous and unpredictable cross winds. There were a few times when I thought I was going to be blown off the edge but then managed to stay in control. Unlike quite a few others it seems. Check out the official photos online - there are several sequences of riders crashing. Riding solo and seemingly uphill - you don't see that very often!! Hope no serious injuries.

Hugely memorable and strangely enjoyable day.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,241
    I was descending an exposed moor towards Llanychaer just as you guys were climbing up... I could barely keep a line and at times I was blown right in the middle of the lane, luckily didn't crash into any of you... :mrgreen:
  • muttley_109
    muttley_109 Posts: 177
    I was there and did the full 109 miles. It was my first sportive as well. I've never ridden in conditions that bad before. Should make the Dragon ride a piece of cake after that!
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Its lovely round there, I used to holiday in Parrog/Newport. But I know the weather can be a bit damp and breezy.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    Makes my 280k in good weather in the Ardennes sound like a piece of cake! Chapeau!!
  • Rode this with family including 11 year old niece and 14 year old nephew on the 50 mile route. In these conditions they did well to come in under 4 hours - must be their cyclocross skills keeping them upright!
    Crap weather just made it more memorable for me. Free Hog roast at finish was excellent addition. One to try again in better weather