How to affix a wheel stabiliser spring on a Kona Minute

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
Evening all,

I have fitted the spring I believe correctly - it's predominantly to stop the front wheel flopping about when it is up on the stand.

I affixed it initially, and held the nut behind the forks, and spannered the bolt in from the front.
This came loose very quickly, and as it holds the mudguards in place, is more than just an irritation.

So I swapped things around, and fitted a much longer bolt - this time threaded through from the rear of the forks, I then used a socket and wrench to tighten it up good and proper.
I also popped a bit of innertube inbetween the fixings and the frame, as I thought that might give it something to bite into.

One ride later and it has started loosening already.

Am I missing something obvious - is the spring too tight perhaps, do I need to buy some thread locking stuff - if so any recommendations?

The only easy way I could see that I could shorten the distance the spring needs to go, is to get some kind of figure of 8 hook type fitment to go between the little metal bracket and the spring itself.

I imagine these things are used extensively throughout the world, so am hoping I am just missing something obvious.

Suggestions welcomed.

13958624635_6e07622f1f.jpg
13959077884_4cf7aef9ec.jpg
13958632225_e654a0e315.jpg
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Use a lock nut, or lock 2 nuts together.

But really - why?

On a work stand then you can strap the wheel to the frame or put the front of the frame lower so it hangs straight.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Locking washers between each surface on both sides.

@Slowbike: Why? it's a cargo bike, the spring resists steering changes due to unbalanced loads (like squirming passengers).
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm a Bikeability instructor and I have to say that stabilisers don't help and only teach bad habits. The number of times I've seen kids sit on a bike, put both feet on the pedals and fall off sideways. I can see the attraction of putting stabiliers on a bike so that you can see your pride and joy pedalling straight away but it doesn't actually teach the most difficult part of cycling and that is how to balance.

I suggest removing the stabilisers and taking the pedals off to turn the bike into a balance bike. When little'un can scoot around put the pedals back on and jnr will be riding in no time.

Did I get the wrong end of the stick?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'm a Bikeability instructor.

Totally.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The bit of inner tube isn't helping but, as others have said, a second locking nut tightened against the first (spanner on each) or locking washers or a nyloc nut will probably do the job. But I'd take the inner tube piece out too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    nicklouse wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'm a Bikeability instructor.

Totally.
    It wasn't deliberate either. I must be so thick.

In all seriousness, why does the op's bike need the spring? 'Proper' cargo bikes like Bakefiets don't need a wheel stabilising spring. I guess the headtube angle takes care of any wheel stabilising issues, but the MinUte seems to be a hybrid of a hybrid and a load carrying bike so needs extra bits to do the job.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou for ALL of those replies!

:lol:

From my own perspective the bike does not require the spring for normal riding, though I understand that for a lot of people it makes the front end more predictable/stable.

The reason I want it is that I want the front wheel to stay reasonable straight when the bike is up in it's stand, as it then rests on the rear wheel, not like a side stand where both wheels remain planted.
    I believe this will be very useful for when I am trying to load the bike up with shopping and my little 8 month old nipper - I suppose the other option is to drop it off the stand first, but it seems that if the feature is there I may as well try and make use of it.

I will order some locking nuts anyway, and have realised I can fine tune this, as mentioned by SB and Initialised, by using more than one bolt - one to secure the mudguard, and then probably two more to fine tune how much tension is on the spring, should work ok, as I have a long bolt to work with.

Thanks for the help.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ah - stand as in the fold down stand on the BB - not a work stand!
  • daniel_b
    Slowbike wrote:
    Ah - stand as in the fold down stand on the BB - not a work stand!

Apologies, I could have been clearer :oops:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • sleeches
    sleeches Posts: 14
    Take a look at the Kona website (gallery of the ute) and there looks to be a spacer behind the fork which you seem to be missing.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    The Ute has a different set up, the mudguard is mounted to the front of the fork crown and it's held in place by a bolt with an eye at one end for the stabiliser spring and a locknut at the other.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road