Putin

mamba80
mamba80 Posts: 5,032
edited May 2014 in The cake stop
I bet they are regretting closing down all those W.German bases, scraping our armoured divisions and wasting the money on aircraft carriers without planes and telling us the threat to our way of life is from terrorism...oh really?

Once again, Europe's defence will come from the Americans... lets hope!

The Soviets in whatever form they take, will always pose a threat to Europe, its scary times.

Comments

• Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    The Russians don't need to invade, all they need to do is shut down the gas pipelines and we'll come running to them.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Cygnus wrote:
    The Russians don't need to invade, all they need to do is shut down the gas pipelines and we'll come running to them.

Whilst that might upset the Germans (40% of their gas comes from Russia) it's not an issue for us (7% from Russia), especially with the export capacity of the American LNG terminals coming on line.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Russia supplies 76% of Europe's gas.

The biggest issue here is the Russia, USA and GB signed a non proliferation treaty with Ukraine. In exchange for the Ukraine not developing a nuclear arsenal the signatories agreed to respect the independence, sovereignty and borders of the Ukraine. To refrain from threat of force against the territorial sovereignty or political independence of the Ukraine and economic coercion. To assist through the UN security council if there was a breach.

The breach has occurred and the matter is before the Security Council to resolve the situation with Russia.

So the 180 plus other signatories to the non proliferation treaty will probably questioning their position.

The good news is that Nuclear weapons are not in the equation, not that the likelihood of WMD's being deployed in this situation would have been likely however with political upheaval provides uncertainty which is word you don't want to see in the same sentence as nuclear capability.

Equally the Ukrainians and EU raised Russia's concerns with growing links. Not to expect an adverse reaction to that relationship could be seen as questionable.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Meanwhile back in Washington D.C.

obama-golf.jpg
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    V0YbtbI.jpg
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mamba80 wrote:
    The Soviets in whatever form they take, will always pose a threat to Europe, its scary times.

Thought I'd logged on to the Daily Mail or Mumsnet website for a minute there...
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Figures I've seen are 3% UK and 40% Germany from Russia.
    Ukraine has not much of its own gas and what it does have comes in around the Crimean peninsula. It gets oil and gas from Russia, at favorable prices under the pro-Russian former government. The guys in power then failed to pass on b the cheap prices but pocketed the difference.
    Ukraine had more than it's fair share of the old Soviet nuclear capability. On the dismantling of USSR the west got worried about the nuclear arsenal hence the deal where the Russians took it all back in exchange for the protection pact. IIRC the west, Ukraine and the Russians were quite pleased with the deal. Since then more of.the old.eastern pact countries have become more western leaning indeed joining the west's institutions over the weakened Russian ones. Indeed Russia had a big deal enough problem rescuing it's economy at the time.
    The US led western approach to Ukraine failed in an epic way. Don't think the Ukraine situation has happened without a proxy battle between Russia and US in the background. Even the new Ukraine leaders messed up by putting in new oligarchs into power in the eastern Ukraine. If they'd put a different set of officals in the pro Russian side would have less support. A lot just see the same old situation where the elite prop up each other. The Russian system if you like. The western system is no better but at least we only go in for oil not territory (Afghanistan was arguably about removing sources of terrorism against western interests but what about Somalia, parts of sub-Saharan Africa, etc) I digress.
    Ukraine is a mess like any other place the west or the east has interfered in.
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    An interesting article in the Guardian today about the Ukraine debacle: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... WEML6619I2
    The comments - as always - entertained too.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,531
    Cygnus wrote:

Hurts the Russians as much as It does everyone else.

After all, how do they make their money?

Putin is propped up by a number of super rich elites. Putting the economic squeeze on them will not endear Putin to them - he's mainly there to keep those guys content.

The economic war will hurt everyone - London especially - but Russia will ultimately lose that one.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,196
    edited August 2022
    The British Army needs to ‘raise its game’ in case it is forced to tackle Russia threat ‘head-on.’

Soldiers have been encouraged to speak with loved ones about the fact they could be deployed to support Ukraine.

Warrant Officer Paul Carney said the British Army is ‘shaping itself to meet the threat from Russia and was ready to counter any aggression’.

WO1 Carney wrote in Soldier magazine: ‘I want us all to check we are physically fit for operations. And it is also important we prepare loved ones and families, who often have the hardest role in our absence.’

Defence chiefs have stressed that the warning ‘does not mean the Army is about to deploy to Ukraine’ but that the need to ‘prepare’ is essential.

Meanwhile the British Army’s chief of general staff, Gen Sir Patrick Sanders, has said commanders at each level of the Service ‘must step up’.

‘We are mobilising the Army to help prevent war in Europe by being ready to fight and win alongside our Nato allies and partners,’ he said.

‘This is the moment to defend the democratic values that define us; to help our brave Ukrainian allies in their gallant struggle -and stand with our friends ad partners to help maintain peace throughout the rest of Europe.’
    https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/21/top-soldier-warns-british-troops-must-be-ready-for-war-with-russia-17218087/

Chilling words.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,442
    Why have we moved to this thread when all the recent Russia stuff was on the other thread?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,531

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,196
    Pross said:

Why have we moved to this thread when all the recent Russia stuff was on the other thread?

Ah, that will be my fault. I must have searched for Putin and not checked.

The Shame.