Removing debris from tyres - to glue or not to glue?

Chunky101
Chunky101 Posts: 108
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Title says it all really. After you pick out bits of flint or stone from your tyres, before they've caused a puncture, should you fill the hole in with glue and if so any tyre friendly glue recommendations?

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If they are small, do nothing. If they are bigger then dont use supeglue or anything else that goes hard and creates a shard of glue... Best recommendations are shoe goo, wet suit glue or some other flexible but strong bond. Lots of people seem to have success but lots say they tried everything and nothing works. I have just tried some shoe goo but too early to say if it worked as I havent ridden the tyres yet.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I was using black witch for a while which is a rubber based glue for wet suits. It soon wears down and I did not bother gluing it and the tyre was fine. As long as the cut does not go through the carcass or is bulging I would leave it alone. Most cuts are superficial.
  • I've been using a superglue that is branded as suitable for using on rubber items - good results so far.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Used superglue for years. Works well for me.
  • Chunky101
    Chunky101 Posts: 108
    Thanks folks, is there any evidence that glue can turn into a shard and actually cause a puncture? Doesn't seem too far fetched if you think about it.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    There was a recent thread about this when some people did say that superglue use had resulted in shards causing punctures.

My experience is that if you only use a dab of superglue and hold the tyre for a few seconds until it sets, there is not enough glue there to create a shard.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    What kind of tyre is it? If it has a protective belt (like kevlar), i wouldn't bother with glue.