2012: IGLINSKIY Maxim
2011: GILBERT Philippe
2010: VINOKOUROV Alexandre
2009: SCHLECK Andy

Last year's race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-CNAoDXlPM

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    This was always my favourite - partly because the scenery reminds me of the North Downs/Kent/Surrey where, during a lot of my formative cycling years, I smashed my brains out - but for some reason hasn't quite met expectations for a number of years now (although Dan Martin winning exceeded them); now always seems that too big a group arrives at foot of Cote de St Nic than is right* - I guess that's why they've added a couple more hills in the finale…
    It suppose it marks a key pivot-point in the year: with the classics season merging into tour time… and can any of the GC big-hitters get the better of the main classics guys (although Valverde is a rarity in that he has a foot in both camps)?

What to drink… Any advances on Chimay?

*I know he was a wrong-un, but I'd quite like to see someone try to copy Frank Vandenbroucke's '99 big-ring attack here - for old times sake...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    What to drink… Any advances on Chimay?.
    I reckon Rochefort is a bit nearer to the route - not far from Bastogne. And pretty good too :P

Jupiler is actually from Liege, one of Belgium's mainstream lagers; I'd prefer the Rochefort or Chimay though
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224

Cracking.

Except for the tan, your avatar could be Kelly in contemporary kit...
    Forget which soigneur said it, but remember one guy saying that Kelly had unique legs - very dense musculature...
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    The 100th edition of LBL.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's a new Holland Sport Special for those of you in NL or with a dutch VPN:

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/1412921

2404nndoen26hollandsport.jpg
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    What to drink… Any advances on Chimay?

La Chouffe, as the race virtually passes the brewery.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    FJS wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    What to drink… Any advances on Chimay?.
    I reckon Rochefort is a bit nearer to the route - not far from Bastogne. And pretty good too :P

Jupiler is actually from Liege, one of Belgium's mainstream lagers; I'd prefer the Rochefort or Chimay though

Houfillaze is on the route (early on) and if you ride one of the MTB routes from there you go through the village of Chouffre - home of A'chouffre. The bars in Houfillaze all sell something called Lupus which I ve never seen anywhere else...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    How many times will Carlton get Damiano Cunego's name into the commentary this time, assuming he's on some sort of pay-per-mention endorsement contract.
  • We should really create Kirby bingo.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Who do you think Kirby will have had an outside flutter on?
  • joelsim
    Well I've just had a cheeky £2.50 EW on Betancur at 80/1. Hopefully he is fully recovered now.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    We should really create Kirby bingo.
    Sean Kelly bingo is better, look out for "Meeekin' de calcqueleeeshun" and one of my favourites "Tour of France" :mrgreen:
  • joelsim
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Sean Kelly bingo is better, look out for "Meeekin' de calcqueleeeshun" and one of my favourites "Tour of France" :mrgreen:

You could bingo that 20 times every race.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Joelsim wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

You could bingo that 20 times every race.
    It's more of a drinking game. If you really want to get drunk have a sip of beer every time Kirby gets overexcited and thinks there's an attack every when a rider misjudges the speed required when he takes his turn on the front and goes a metre off the front!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,220
    Doesn't have the same buzz does it?

All feels a bit forced.

Last 30km's usually good value mind.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    The least predictable of the Ardennes trilogy given the current crop of riders and the most scenic, but no not a patch on the bergs and cobbles....
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Froome out - Chest infection
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Froome kennelled:

Team Sky’s Doctor Richard Freeman confirmed: “Unfortunately Chris has been suffering from a mild chest infection. After an examination this morning we concluded that the best course of action would be to withdraw him from Liege-Bastogne-Liege as a precautionary measure, which will allow him the best chance of recovery ahead of the Tour de Romandie.”

Pete Kennaugh was also unable to start the race due to an unrelated illness, while Vasil Kiryienka has also been forced out of the upcoming WorldTour race in Romandie, starting on Tuesday.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Not going to happen this season.
    One thing after another.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Not going to happen this season.
    One thing after another.
    It was written...
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Mechanism wrote:
    How many times will Carlton get Damiano Cunego's name into the commentary this time, assuming he's on some sort of pay-per-mention endorsement contract.

It's Rob Hatch today - Carlton's in Turkey.
  • frenchfighter
    Total lightweights that team with no respect for the sport.

Cotton wool wrapped riders who pull out with a sniffle.

And yet despite these repetitive illness and fatigues they are able to put serious miles in training up mountains. To me that is simply unacceptable.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Porte wasnt at the team presentation due to a late flight in. Hope they get fined for that.

Also as of yesterday, Sky DS was talking about Froome being in the mix today :roll:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    JRod saying he is not feeling great on the climbs. Such a shame some idiot took him out a week ago. This race is his number one goal of the year - really hope he pulls through. He could with a big one day win after that unfortunate result at the Worlds.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Intermediate sprint at 100km put in with a 5k euro prize due to it being the 100th edition.

Col de Vecquee back in.

Betancur was 4th last year and Costa was 9th.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited April 2014
    Betancur DNS...apparently got to the start but a headache and sore throat prevented him starting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Swim little fishies. Swim
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    Six no-namers have 5mins after 30mins or so of racing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Betancur DNS...apparently got to the start but a headache and sore throat prevented him starting.
    Another "cotton wool wrapped rider pulling out with a sniffle"? Or does that only apply to riders you don't like?
  • ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    Six no-namers have 5mins after 30mins or so of racing.

JACOBS P 182 TSV
    MINNAARD M 237 WGG
    LANG P 145 IAM
    BONO M 42 LAM
    KOCH M 154 CAN
    VENTER J 228 MTN

14:50 ahead. A sedate 39.4 kph avg.