Help needed with headset

wayne10244
wayne10244 Posts: 65
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi need some help with new headset as I rebuilding the frame for my girl friend. As it's got the threaded type forks I want to change to thread less as I got plenty of spares here. The problem I'm having is the size of the old headset as I have taken it off the frame and have measure the inside of the head tube and it's 46 m. And the only ones I have seen are semi integraded my forks that I will be fitting 1 1/8 so a bit confused at the moment.If anyone can shed some light with info with the right one that will fit I would be grateful. :?:

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    46 metres, that's one hell of a large headtube!

Are her current forks one inch steerer or 1 1/8"? If they are the latter you almost certainly just need a normal external headset, unthreaded forks and new stem. If its 1" you'll be spending a while to getting some 1" ahead forks!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Already got the forks and the head tube is 46 mm inside bore so need 46 mm headset but the only ones I seen are semi integrated that I don't want all I need is a new head set as all the other parts I got
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But, as The Rookie said, what have you got? And what did it have?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The forks I want to fit are 1/18 the old ones was the threaded type rockshox the very early ones. So want to fit a threadlesss 46mm headset :?:
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    So you want to fit a treaded 1 1/8 fork into a Semi-integrated head tube (presumably a frame from the last 3-5 years?). Likely no chance, sorry.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • No I want to fit a threadless headset and forks to a frame that had a threaded forks and headset I had done this before on a frame before 5 years ago. But the size of the inside dia of the head tube is 46mm and all the headsets that I see are semi or integrated :?:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What is the frame?
    What is the steerer size of the forks you took out?

An ID of 46 seems rather large? Even 1 1/8 ZS isn't that wide.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The frame is a old alloy cannondale hardtail I have to measure the old forks steering tube tomorrow and let you know but hopefully I can sort the headset out
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Semi integrated (Zero Stack) is 44mm....

I suspect it's a whacky 'dale sizing which they are prone to, check out parktools for the different headset standards/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The Rookie wrote:
    Semi integrated (Zero Stack) is 44mm....

I suspect it's a whacky 'dale sizing which they are prone to, check out parktools for the different headset standards/

^This, again unlikely you'll find what you need. Cannondale probably used some crazy 1.5 headshock or similar requiring a specific cannondale only headset... which you will never find a replacement for.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.