Football introduces revolutionary new doping test

Coach H
Coach H Posts: 1,092
edited May 2014 in Pro race
That's right, football is leading the fight on doping in sport by introducing............................a bio passport :roll:

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/rooney-among- ... ng-pilot-1
Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I noticed that Sky Sports News brought on Orla Chennouai to explain it rather than a football reporter.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I'm beginning to wonder if Football is a sport that cycling fans can actually look down on...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Coach H wrote:
    That's right, football is leading the fight on doping in sport by introducing............................a bio passport :roll:

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/rooney-among- ... ng-pilot-1

Reading that has given me the biggest laugh all week

FIFA - spin, spin

And frankly ignorant journos sucking it up
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Wonder whether the first fail will be an Italian or a German.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Joelsim wrote:

Spanish, or a player who plays in Spain. The brits are safe unless it covers coke.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Footballers having been doping for years. Fuentes swept under the carpet. It's just a load of PR media spin
    and when the next big name cyclist gets busted football press heads will have another dig and say how football is leading the way for clean sport and cycling is doing nothing.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    no one will fail, they only get tested once a year.

on sky news this morning it wasn't "biological passport" it was "genetic profile"
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    sjmclean wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Spanish, or a player who plays in Spain. The brits are safe unless it covers coke.

What makes you say that?
  • Anonymous
    sjmclean wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

What makes you say that?

In terms of Spain, I think they have a lapse attitude in terms of doping, I mean look at the cyclists busted, and Nadal's arm.

In terms of Uk, it was a joke, I know first hand through some school friends who play football, and have been given "natural supplements" to bulk up. I also know a few who are partial to the old Bolivian marching powder.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Very dirty sport football as well as being boring. So much money at stake that the doping problem is not confronted.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Very dirty sport football as well as being boring. So much money at stake that the doping problem is not confronted.
    Which has never been the case in cycling right. Look at the vigour that Lance Armstrong character was pursued with by Hein and Pat.
  • tuneskyline
    Zidane is still worshiped Armstrong his not. I don't think football fans are to bothered. I don't think it is seen as cheating so much in football compared to a long distance runner or a cyclist.
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    Football is a beautiful game but an ugly business.

Until recently I have been heavily involved in local football. It has just become such a nasty environment. Only when you fully leave the cocoon of the sport do you realise that people shouldn't act the way they do at the side of a football pitch. The players are not the sort of people you would want children to look up to.

I am not saying for a second that cycling is perfect for a second but I'd prefer my offspring to want to be like Vos or Wiggins rather than Rooney or Terry.
  • frenchfighter
    Der Kaiser wrote:
    Football is a beautiful game but an ugly business.

Until recently I have been heavily involved in local football. It has just become such a nasty environment. Only when you fully leave the cocoon of the sport do you realise that people shouldn't act the way they do at the side of a football pitch. The players are not the sort of people you would want children to look up to.

I am not saying for a second that cycling is perfect for a second but I'd prefer my offspring to want to be like Vos or Wiggins rather than Rooney or Terry.

In what way would you say it has become nasty and would you say this is more common then say a few years ago?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    Zidane is still worshiped Armstrong his not. I don't think football fans are to bothered. I don't think it is seen as cheating so much in football compared to a long distance runner or a cyclist.

Unlike Pantani, Vino etc etc etc etc etc. Couldn't agree with you any less.

There is of course some doping in football, but the gains to be made are not as big as the gains to be made from cycling. Football is not all about stamina. You can't give Grant Holt a shedload of Edgar and turn him into Lionel Messi. In football there is no such thing as high octane in the way that EPO and BBs transformed the sport.

I also think that there is an awful lot to lose in football for anyone caught. Take our man Wayne, he could lose £25m per season by being caught, and honestly how much better is it going to make his game?

I will say again though, there is some doping in every sport as we all know. If Wayne was busted there would be a national outcry and he would be public enemy number one.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    Joelsim wrote:

There is of course some doping in football, but the gains to be made are not as big as the gains to be made from cycling. Football is not all about stamina. You can't give Grant Holt a shedload of Edgar and turn him into Lionel Messi. In football there is no such thing as high octane in the way that EPO and BBs transformed the sport.

I also think that there is an awful lot to lose in football for anyone caught. Take our man Wayne, he could lose £25m per season by being caught, and honestly how much better is it going to make his game?

I will say again though, there is some doping in every sport as we all know. If Wayne was busted there would be a national outcry and he would be public enemy number one.

If you're spending £25m a year on a player, you'd want to make bloody sure they're performing as well as possible.

Football's bigger business than cycling is by a pretty large order of magnitude, and the logistics of football, let alone the extra money they have sloshing about, would make you think that you'd be mad not to.

The logistics of a stage race doping program are a serious ball ache by comparison.

I know what I'd be doing if I was running a premier league football club....

Separately, take the England'98 world cup - same year as Festina.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... enn-hoddle
    When the 1998 World Cup started, some of the players started taking injections from Glenn's favourite medic, a Frenchman called Dr Rougier. It was different from anything we'd done at United, but all above board, I'm sure.

"After some of the lads said they'd felt a real burst of energy, I decided to seize any help on offer. So many of the players decided to go for it before that Argentina match that there was a queue to see the doctor
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Joelsim wrote:

Read this.
    http://www.4dfoot.com/2013/02/09/doping ... -evidence/
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2014
    I find it amusing that a certain notorious twitter 'personality' who rants about doping in cycling, completely overlooks certain aspects about his favourite team Liverpool's rise to probable league winners which he would tweet about on a daily basis if they applied to Sky.

Jumping for 7th to 1st - not normal. Who has done that in the last 15 years?
    Involvement of ex Sky doctor who hired OKed Leinders's hiring. Did he bring him to Anfield?
    Gerrard a known client of Actovegin advocate Dr Muller-Wohlfahrt, a suspected doping doctor.
    Manager for six years, Rafa Benitez was previously manager of Valencia when they were linked to Operacion Puerto
    Jordan Henderson becoming a good player
    Why was Hodgson sacked? Did he want to disband the doping programme?

(not that I personally think that any of this is worthy of note - but then I'm not a fanatic. But it does show hypocrisy in those that claim to rail against it)
  • joelsim
    ThomThom wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Read this.
    http://www.4dfoot.com/2013/02/09/doping ... -evidence/

Good article. An enjoyable rad.
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    I find it amusing that a certain notorious twitter 'personality' who rants about doping in cycling, completely overlooks certain aspects about his favourite team Liverpool's rise to probable league winners which he would tweet about on a daily basis if they applied to Sky.

Jumping for 7th to 1st - not normal. Who has done that in the last 15 years?
    Involvement of ex Sky doctor who hired OKed Leinders's hiring. Did he bring him to Anfield?
    Gerrard a known client of Actovegin advocate Dr Muller-Wohlfahrt, a suspected doping doctor.
    Manager for six years, Rafa Benitez was previously manager of Valencia when they were linked to Operacion Puerto
    Jordan Henderson becoming a good player
    Why was Hodgson sacked? Did he want to disband the doping programme?

(not that I personally think that any of this is worthy of note - but then I'm not a fanatic. But it does show hypocrisy in those that claim to rail against it)

Interesting - I will send this to a cpl ppl I know who are strong Liverpool supporters.

Was going to make a cycling comparison but removed it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:

Has he ever claimed they don't dope? It's not the cheating, it's the hypocrisy.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rdent
    rdent Posts: 49
    Barcelona might have a bit to answer for.
  • tuneskyline
    Joelsim wrote:

I did make the point about running and cycling being different to football. I only mentioned Armstrong and Zidane as a comparison. Have you heard of the Fuentes case? It was swept under the carpet because some of the blood bags belonged to some of the top teams in Spain and very strongly rumoured top male tennis player. The money involved in football will overcome any doping bust. If Rooney did get busted the Man Utd PR machine would go into operation and Rooney would end up as popular as ever. Did it hurt Zidane when he got caught? it did not, he is as popular as ever. Look at Rio missing the PED test and the comical cover up that went on there. Look at what happened to Rassmusen when he was not where he should have been. One has the support of a business that makes millions and has little damage done to his reputation the other one gets sacked and his pro racing days are all but over.
  • Anonymous
    rdent wrote:

Well they openly gave Messi growth hormones because he was too small.
  • RichN95.
    sjmclean wrote:
    rdent wrote:

Do you object to children receiving legitimate medical treatment for an actual medical problem?
  • Anonymous
    edited April 2014
    RichN95 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    rdent wrote:

Do you object to children receiving legitimate medical treatment for an actual medical problem?

Not at all, but is being too small to play football an "actual medical problem?"

edit, just read up on him, could you not just have put that it was an actual medical condition. Not everyone has the wealth of knowledge you have in the field, so you could have just put that. Instead you opted to try and make me look like a douche.
  • RichN95.
    sjmclean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    rdent wrote:

Not at all, but is being too small to play football an "actual medical problem?"
    No it's not. But having a growth hormone deficiency is though. He was diagnosed before he joined Barcelona.
  • Anonymous
    RichN95 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    rdent wrote:

No it's not. But having a growth hormone deficiency is though. He was diagnosed before he joined Barcelona.

Why didn't you just comment that? That's what I don't get, you could see I didn't have all the information, you did, why didn't you just comment that he had a medical condition.