Max tyre width

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited April 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi, I've searched about and I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for so I was wondering if someone could help?

I would like to use my cross bike for an upcoming gravel ride and I would like to fit some wider tyres (Ideally 35/37mm)

I can't seem to find any info on maximum tyre widths for my rims (Or even what the inner width is) They are Fulcrum racing 7 CX rims and are currently running 30mm Michelin's. They need replacing as well and ideally I would like to go wider with those is possible.

The tyres I was looking at are the Panaracer Pasela TG as they seem to fit the bill as a tyre for that sort of riding and are relatively inexpensive.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Maximum width or tyre I've run safely on a regular 20mm road rim is 35mm - it does depend on the tyre and rim, but the fatter the tyres, the more acute the angle of the bead and the chance of it slipping-off the rim. A 32mm should be OK but can't be sure until you try it.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Paul 8v
    Thanks Monty, I think I'm going to get the tyre off and measure the inside. When you say 20mm do you mean the difference between the hooks on the rim or the overall width?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Pasela 32 are quite chunky, lovely tyres and will fit most rims
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    20-21mm is the standard width of most road rims - internal width is 15-16mm. Typically, manufacturers state maximum tyre width is about 1.8x internal width but if you don't pump-up the tyres too hard like for CX, you can often get away with 2x.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Paul 8v
    Excellent, the external dimension is 21mm. Looks like the 32mm Pasela is the one to go for then, I take it that would be the correct sort of tyre for what I'm looking to do? I will be running it a bit softer than normal road pressure but will need some volume of air so it handles OK on the road.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    My Open pro rims are about 15m internal. Never had any concerns about running 38mm tyres. Look at a MTB. The rims are a few mm wider but the tyres maybe 60mm wide. Just watch the pressures maybe.
    Might I suggest that unless you have direct evidence of your exact combination working in your conditions, that there may be a bit of suck it and see needed.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Excellent, the external dimension is 21mm. Looks like the 32mm Pasela is the one to go for then, I take it that would be the correct sort of tyre for what I'm looking to do? I will be running it a bit softer than normal road pressure but will need some volume of air so it handles OK on the road.

I did run the Pasela for a while, the 32 folding live happily at 60 PSI, or even a tad less. THey are supple and pretty fast on the road... just as fat as a 23 mm road tyre in fact

DSC_2007_zpsec7d1323.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:

I did run the Pasela for a while, the 32 folding live happily at 60 PSI, or even a tad less. THey are supple and pretty fast on the road... just as fat as a 23 mm road tyre in fact

DSC_2007_zpsec7d1323.jpg
    These look perfect, thanks for that Ugo.