What's the best entry level full Susser?

Monkeyrick
Monkeyrick Posts: 14
edited May 2014 in MTB general
I've been thinking of getting a full Susser.
i currently ride a Steel hardtail (P7), and have always eyed up full Sussers where ever I go, wondering if one would be better for my body in the long run.

I was looking to get an affordable full sus bike that I could upgrade as time goes on.

Anyway, I saw the kona Precept and wondered what people thought of it for the money (there aren't many reviews out there). Has anyone got any suggestions for a decent bike for around a similar price (1300 quid).

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    My dad has the 2014 Anthem 3 27.5 - great bike for the money.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • if you could stretch another couple of hundred quid I would say have a look at the canyon nerve al 7.0.
    It the budget end of the full sus market you are unlikely to find too much with really polished suspension or top end components. The canyon at least has a full XT drivetrain, elixir 3 brakes and a descent set of wheels.
    It also comes with fox suspension front and back...... unfortunately it is the dreaded CTD stuff (better than the kona has) and you could always send it to Mojo and have it tuned to your liking as your first upgrade..... after that its just a case of replacing what wears out as the spec is so solid anyway. :D
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • Monkeyrick
    Monkeyrick Posts: 14
    edited April 2014
    Wow, that Canyon really is good value for money, that's unbelievable.

The only thing that worries me is the sizing, as I wouldn't know where to go to for a test ride.

What's up with the CTD stuff?
  • I wouldn't kick the Anthem out of bed too, that seems to be quite similar to the Kona Precept DL version.
  • get geeky about geometry!!!!
    go and ride a few bikes that feel like a good fit for you. Have a look on the manufacturers website and see what the Top tube length is, The Seat Tube length is and the Reach is. You should be able to work out which one will fit you the best that way! They do have a pretty good size guide on the canyon site you can use as well. Just remember that bike size is very subjective.
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • I really like the size of my 17" P7, so I guess I could look at the geometry of that to get a better idea.

I'll just go and check out that Canyon size guide whilst I'm thinking about it. :D
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I'd say the Vitus bikes on Chain Reaction Cycles are good entry - intermediate level full suspension bikes
  • I must admit, I hadn't considered a Giant. That's 3 votes for the Anthems, and they look nice too.
  • Personally I'd still have the canyon
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • Got to admit, I prefer the Canyon too..... she's a peach.

I guess the Kona Precept is out then - the shocks look like turd now I've seen those others for the same price. Shame cos I really like Kona bikes.
  • Defo go for the canyon nerve. I've had the 2014 nerve 7.0 in the acid storm colour for about 6 weeks and it's fantastic. For £1550 including shipping you will not find a better bike. There's nothing compromised in the spec and it rides/feels amazing. Regularly ride red graded trails pretty hard on it and it performs brilliant. As for suspension the fox float 32's perform as ud expect from fox along with good solid shock support. I can see no flaws at all with the suspension. I think people need to realise that product testers work on fine margins which to the everyday rider, it would not make any difference or even be noticed.

The vitus bike's weight is a real issue in my opinion and again I'm pretty sure canyons bikes in general are the lightest around.
  • Ive got a rockrider 6.3 from decathlon. The gears, brakes, forks etc aren't too good but the frame is pretty good and you could buy it just for the frame and upgrade it with all the leftover money (its only £370).
    Good for XC and riding trail centres, but wouldn't cope with DH.

Or might just be complete s**t but i think it's good because i've never ridden a more expensive bike. Just putting it out there
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at Boardmans or the RR 9 series at Decathlon as well.......none are bad bikes, all have different strengths and weaknesses, but the Anthems from pauls are a good solid choice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Anthem has one of the best xc full suspension frames. Very popular with racers but also a very good trail bike. It takes enthusiastic riding very well and is extremely efficient. I abused one for a year and really enjoyed it.
  • Another vote for the Vitus the 2014 models are cheaper than some 2013 models aswell . check CRC out
  • Back in 2011, I got a ghost AMR 5900 for 1150....but that was in Germany with a decent discount and tax free which helped a lot. I think they are still around the 2k mark.

Have you thought about second hand? Always a bit of a risk but you can get a lot more for your money.
  • revmatt
    revmatt Posts: 75
    Just bought a Rose granite chief. XT brakes, XT/SLX group, 2014 pikes, all for £1800.

I posted a thread in MTB buying advice if you're interested.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if you could stretch another couple of hundred quid I would say have a look at the canyon nerve al 7.0.
    It the budget end of the full sus market you are unlikely to find too much with really polished suspension or top end components. The canyon at least has a full XT drivetrain, elixir 3 brakes and a descent set of wheels.
    It also comes with fox suspension front and back...... unfortunately it is the dreaded CTD stuff (better than the kona has) and you could always send it to Mojo and have it tuned to your liking as your first upgrade..... after that its just a case of replacing what wears out as the spec is so solid anyway. :D

is that from experience or just because you've never heard of the Fastrax AF-1?

at least the fox shock is a performance unit so has a decent damper on it
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    i have both a giant anthem (29er x2) and a canyon (strive).

I got a 2013 anthem from pauls cycles just there so it was a hell of a lot of bike for £1300 but i still felt the need to upgrade - a lot - full drivetrain to xt, brakes, bar, add a quick release seat collar, change the very heavy wheel quick release etc. the strive was a similar price when new to the x2 list price but so far I have changed nothing.

I think the point is they are both excellent bikes (although do very different things) but the canyons just offer such great value out of the box its so hard to ignore.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    My first proper bike was an Anthem... and I still think it's one of the best bikes I have ever ridden (so far, the only demo bike I'd swap for is a Pivot Mach 5.7, and that was about 3.5k I think). I still love it after 3.5k miles on it.

After 4 years my Anthem has better wheels and a dropper post (thanks, Dad - for my 50th birthday) as well as a different bar and stem, and better shifters. The better wheels are lighter and can run tubeless. Bar and stem is personal preference (and saved some weight), the Reverb added weight but is just very handy for the riding I do... but if was starting again I'd say buy better shifters as XT/SLX are simply much much better than Deore. Every so often I think about 'better brakes', but to be honest they are pretty good once I've set them up just right.

So, yes, a Canyon would be more 'bling', but demo an Anthem and see what you think.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building