Time to crack out the dry lube?

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

As the trails round by me have dried up a fair bit recently would it be wise to move onto a dry lube over a wet lube? I have noticed my chain is getting covered in dust and crap after each ride which I guess will cause it to wear quicker? Is this right?
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, wet lube plus particles = grinding paste, or you could try a wax as used by that cycling god known as Cooldad (which I hate to admit I'm going to try when I next get a new chain!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    "Squirt" wax based lube for dry and damp conditions. Very good stuff indeed - £8 well spent.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    that cycling god known as Cooldad (which I hate to admit I'm going to try when I next get a new chain!)
    You called, my son?

But no way are you trying me. Unless you wear a mask.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Wormishere1
    Wormishere1 Posts: 284
    Cheers, will try and dig out my chain cleaner and get it sparkling before I move over to the dry side!
    Remember Rule #5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    You called, my son?
    That would make you even older than you'd want to even consider being!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The Rookie wrote:
    You could try a wax as used by that cycling god known as Cooldad

Squirt. I tried it based on 'dad's recommendation and I have to say, so far, pretty good stuff. I think I'm converted.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I use finish line wet lube all year, always have (assuming I even lube my chain).
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I use finish line wet lube all year, always have (assuming I even lube my chain).
    As did I until very recently, when I took up 'dads recommendation for Squirt.

So far, so good - preformance in dry conditions is very good - chain has not developed a heavy coating of grinding paste as with Finish Line wet. Remains to be seen how it goes in the wet
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 33
    I'm on to dry now, much better in the summer than the wet stuff.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Squirt is good, but you have to strictly follow the guidelines, like with a mogwai.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Hi,

As the bums round by me have dried up a fair bit recently would it be wise to move onto a lube over a wet tube? I have noticed my d**k is getting covered in crap after each ride which I guess will cause it to wear quicker? Is this right?

yes.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The Rookie wrote:
    you could try a wax as used by that cycling god known as Cooldad (which I hate to admit I'm going to try when I next get a new chain!)

I've also bowed to the pressure and bought a bottle of Squirt. My chain's gonna need replacing sometime soon anyway, so would seasoned users recommend stripping down the new chain and starting with Squirt from new, or would they run the chain using the factory lube for a bit, and wait until it needs cleaning before stripping and "Squirt"ing?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I never strip new chains
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    jimothy78 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    you could try a wax as used by that cycling god known as Cooldad (which I hate to admit I'm going to try when I next get a new chain!)

I've also bowed to the pressure and bought a bottle of Squirt. My chain's gonna need replacing sometime soon anyway, so would seasoned users recommend stripping down the new chain and starting with Squirt from new, or would they run the chain using the factory lube for a bit, and wait until it needs cleaning before stripping and "Squirt"ing?

Due to the nature of the product I'd be tempted to strip and Squirt straight way.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would leave it. The factory lube is normally excellent stuff, but more importantly is inside the rollers where you need it.
    Give it a month or two until it needs lubing and then degrease and Squirt.
    Bear in mind that you don't need any lube at all on the outside bits of the chain. The only reason for putting it on the outside is so it oozes inside.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    cooldad wrote:
    I would leave it. The factory lube is normally excellent stuff, but more importantly is inside the rollers where you need it.
    Give it a month or two until it needs lubing and then degrease and Squirt.

yep, thought that would be the consensus, but wanted to make sure.